Swiss Travel June 12-16 Train Ticket help needed

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2015 at 16:59:34 #807181

HI all, I have found great info from reading others posts but still would like some advice on what I think is the right plan for our train travel. Below is our itinerary for the main Swiss dates.

• We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids under 15) and will arrive in Zurich on morning of Friday June 12
    • Train from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen on Friday June 12
    • June 13 – Travel around the Swiss valley area
    • June 14 – Travel around the Swiss valley area
    • June 15 – Travel around the Swiss valley area
    • June 16 – Train from Lauterbrunnen to Koblenz Germany

Once in Germany, we will spend a few days traveling around Koblenz and then take the train up to Amsterdam.

My thought was to purchase a 4 day Flexible Swiss Travel Pass with the family card in order to take advantage of the Swiss valley discounts on busses and the local trains for sightseeing. Leaving one of those days without train travel to keep our last day there valid for train travel back to Zurich and / or Koblenz. What I am struggling with is there a better ticket to get to include the trip to Koblenz and then to Amsterdam? Or should I just to a point to point from Zurich to Koblenz, Koblenz to Amsterdam and stick with the Swiss Travel pass for just all of Switzerland? Open to any advice or ideas you may have from your knowledge and experience. The more research I do the more doubts I have about which ticket to get thinking the Swiss Travel Pass may be overkill for what we are doing.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 May 2015 at 19:11:29 #842893

Hi kjdotnet,

Welcome to our website! In order to find the best (cheapest) pass, you first need to have a detailed itinerary. I’m not sure what you mean by “the Swiss valley area”. Do you mean the Lauterbrunnen valley, or the entire Jungfrau region perhaps?

Here are a few tips:

• Keep in mind that the weather may influence your plans. On a rainy day, there won’t be much to do in the Jungfrau region, so you may want to visit Bern, or do a boat trip from Interlaken.
    • You don’t need to go to Zurich in order to travel to Koblenz. You can take the direct route to Basel and continue into Germany from there.
    • Make a detailed tentative itinerary, then do the math as explained here.

The Swiss Half Fare Card may suit your plans better than a Swiss Travel Pass, so take that one into account as well when do do the calculations. If you prefer a Swiss Travel Pass, then indeed a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex may make sense in your case, if you expect to have one day without traveling or with limited traveling.

All mentioned passes are valid to Basel. From there, you need a ticket to Koblenz, and another one from Koblenz to Amsterdam.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2015 at 19:33:21 #842894

Hi and thanks for the response. I do in fact mean the Lauterbrunnen valley and have not thought too much about the entire region yet. We are keeping weather in mind and how it can force us to change plans.

Great info on the Basel route rather than Zurich…that will help and was not aware. I will attempt to detail out my itinerary more and do the math. I have done it at high level, but I need to do more work with it. Looking forward to reviewing more details on the Half Fare card. I have not looked in detail at it as I did not think it was a good option. Thank you very much for your time.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel June 12-16 Train Ticket help needed’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.