Swiss Travel Pass – best place to buy

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2015 at 18:41:57 #806828

Hi, we are travel to Switzerland in next feb, arriving in Zuritch and going to Interlaken, the best swiss travel for us is a swiss familu card – 8 days, because we are a family with 2 children (4 and 11 years old), my doubt is where is the best place to buy this pass, in Zurich Airport? or can I buy online with some discount, specially talking about the rate CHF/EUR/us dolar. If I buy through Internet how can I get the pass? Can i get in Zurich Airport??

Another doubt, after Switzerland we go to Milan, we wil get the Bernina Express from St Moritz to Tirano, the swiss pass cover this route, right?

And from Tirano to Milis valid for the route St. Moritz – Milan? And From Tirano to Milan, this is not valid for swiss pass?

Tks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 January 2015 at 19:01:32 #841606

Hi menegueco,

Purchase options are listed at the Swiss Travel Pass page here. Be sure to click to the Discounts tab too. You can buy online and have it delivered to your home address. That’s cheaper too, because in Switzerland you would pay with Swiss francs. In your case the 8-day pass is EUR 295 per person online and CHF 363 (EUR 367) in Switzerland. Please read this topic as well.

The pass covers the Bernina Express, but not the seat reservations, which are required for the children as well. You can simply order these along with your pass. More information can be found here. But are you sure you are traveling with the Bernina Express? I don’t think there is one from St. Moritz to Tirano. It’s just local trains on the Bernina route; you don’t need reservations for those. Tirano to Milan is in Italy; that’s not included. You can download the map from the Swiss Travel Pass page to see what’s included.

Have a wonderful stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2015 at 19:10:27 #841607

Hi Arno

Tks for quick response.

we will travel to Zurich in 2 weeks, I think no time to received the tickets at home.

Is there some option to get it at Zurich Airport Station?

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 January 2015 at 19:46:30 #841608

You’re welcome! Delivery just takes 5 days, so that’s no problem. You can also get it at the airport, but then the higher price applies. All purchase and delivery options are on the page I referred to.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2015 at 20:57:41 #841609

Hi Arno,

There is an option that you can print the tickets out at home, that´s good.

Only I did not find the prices of EUR 295 you had mentioned, only EUR 363, can you explain better when you mentioned ” To be sure to click the discounts tab”?

Tks in advance.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 January 2015 at 21:40:39 #841610

Yes, that option is offered through the Swiss Railways link, but they sell for the higher price in CHF. Click the Rail Europe link for the lower price in EUR. They don’t offer print ar home yet but they deliver from Brazil and in time so that’s no problem.

I just meant that you can click “DISCOUNTS” on the Swiss Travel Pass page.

I hope this clarifies it all!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2015 at 16:53:06 #841611

I too am learning about the options regarding Swiss travel passes for a trip that I am planning to Germany, Austria and Switzerland in June with youth’s age 18,20. Thank you for all of your helpful advice and links but I still have a few questions. I did not know that it is possible to purchase passes in Eur from the US and have that expense paid for before arriving in Europe. Is traveling 2nd class adequate as a way to reduce costs? ALso, When you search the Rail Europe site they ask you how many days will you be traveling by train in Switzerland and gives you 3,4,6, 15 day options. Do they mean any train, cogwheel, bus or boat ride, not just long distance travel say between destinations? It looks like we will be in Switzerland actually 7 days, with the last day leaving from the Zurich airport after arriving by train from Luzern. I would appreciate any advice you have and thank you in advance.

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 January 2015 at 6:53:48 #841612

Hi EB,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Sure, all passes can be purchased online. The purchase options are listed in the Price section of the Swiss Travel Pass page. Do check if “Your country of residence” is set to your country, although that should be ok automatically. With the current exchange rates, an online purchase is much cheaper than buying in Switzerland. Online prices change frequently. We always show the current ones so that it is easy to compare your options. Second class is perfectly fine (see here).

The Rail Europe site asks the number of travel days because they try to determine whether you need a Swiss Travel Pass (consecutive days) or Swiss Travel Pass Flex (non-consecutive days). They basically mean each day you will be traveling, regardless of how long/where that will be, although in reality very short train trips do not necessarily require a pass. For cable car/cogwheel trains however, a pass is a necessity to save money on the pretty pricey tickets. In the majority of cases, a Swiss Travel Pass is more economical and more convenient than a Swiss Travel Pass Flex.

An 8-day Swiss Travel Pass makes sense for your 7-day stay. To be 100% sure, you can do the math as explained here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2015 at 19:47:55 #841613

Thank you for clarifying some of my questions. After reading the forum and very helpful links a bit more, I am wondering if our family might need a regional Bernese Oberland pass (4 day) and Swiss travel pass flex as we will arrive in Murren via Luzern or Chur after leaving Fussen, sleep 3 nights in Murren and explore surrounds, then to Lucern for 2 nights and then travel to Zurich for one night before we fly home. Your input is greatly appreciated!!

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 January 2015 at 7:05:28 #841614

Hi EB,

Usually one pass is more economical than buying multiple passes. There are exceptions however, e.g. if you expect to do a lot of traveling by cable car/cogwheel train while in Mürren. In that case a Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland and a Swiss Travel Pass Flex might work for you. But please note that a Swiss Travel Pass gets you to Mürren for free, as well as to Wengen and Grindelwald. Whether other passes are worth it should be determined by making a detailed list of all your travel plans and doing the math.

There is a regional pass for Lucerne too: the Tell Pass. But as said, I think a Swiss Travel Pass will work out best (it includes boats and the Rigi train for free too). You’ll be sure after doing the detailed calculations.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass – best place to buy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.