Swiss Travel Pass coverage

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2017 at 15:46:16 #811549

Hi, I am inclined to get the Swiss Travel Pass, however I am unsure as to whether it will fully cover the places I intend on going.

1) If I were to take a train from Zurich to Interlaken, then take the train to Lauterbrunnen, followed by a change of trains to Kleine Scheidegg to head up to Jungfraujoch, which parts of the journeys are fully covered by the Swiss Pass and which parts are only discounted? The website only seems to cover trains from Grindelwald.

2) If i were to head to Mt Pilatus from Zurich via Lucerne, the Rail Pass covers the entire journey, right?

3) Would it be feasible if I cover these two places for 2 day trips out of Zurich?

4) Are trains from Zurich to Geneva also covered by the rail pass, and if I were to take a bus or train from Geneva city central to the airport, does the rail pass cover this too, or do I have to purchase a separate ticket?

5) Also, are there any particular segments of the journey that would require an early reservation even with the rail pass?

Thank you so much for your assistance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2017 at 16:28:07 #862183

Hi fragilities and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Be sure to read our page on the Swiss Travel Pass here – it has a tab labled ‘where it’s valid’ with a map and notes on major attractions.

1. The Swiss Travel Pass covers all trains 100% until Grindelwald or Wengen. From there to Jungfraujoch (always via Kleine Scheidegg) it only covers 25% of the ticket price. So you must buy a ticket for that route. You can do this at any time at any Swiss rail station.
    2. Yes
    3. Yes, though Jungfraujoch is quite far and it will be a long day from Zurich. You can check train schedules on the timetable here.
    4. Yes all covered
    5. No reservations are needed except on scenic panoramic trains.

I hope that helps!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2017 at 16:48:07 #862184

Hi Lucas!

Thank you so much!

May I ask if the trains up to these places will be working?

I will be in Switzerland over a weekend, from 27th May to 29th May!

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2017 at 17:18:07 #862185

Oh yes, trains operate every day of the year. 🙂

Exceptions are some mountain gondolas/cogwheel trains that close for maintenance for a few weeks in April/May but nothing that will affect you.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass coverage’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.