Swiss Family Card or Junior Travel Card?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2017 at 7:50:16 #812214

Hello,

I’m trying to book the Jungfrau online. We are a group of 3 adults and 2 kids (12 yrs, 7yrs). i’ll be taking the SWISS travel Pass with a family card as well.

While booking on http://www.jungfrau.ch/shop/e n/tickets/bergbahn , Grindelwald to Jungfrau, i’m able to select SWISS TRAVEL PASS option for the adult tickets (which gives me discounted fare of CHF.142.60 per adult instead of CHF.190- for return trip 2nd class). However, for children, the only option i get to select is ” Child (6-16 years without junior card)” which costs CHF.95 per child.

Question:

For this trip, can the children travel free on the SWISS travel pass family card?

If yes, how can i reserve seats for them on the website for online booking, as i currently see no options for the same.

If not, what other options are available?

how much does the junior travel card cost? Given that i’ll be having the swiss travel pass family card which covers the kids free on most routes (we’d be travelling together throughout the Swiss holiday), does purchasing the junior travel card make sense?

TIA

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2017 at 9:29:01 #864911

Hi TIA and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Swiss Family Card covers the children 100% on all trips in Switzerland – so no need to buy any other tickets or passes.

You can reserve seats for yourself and your children here (direct link on that page). I would recommend not doing so until a day or two before your planned trip – to ensure the weather is favourable – don’t go if it is cloudy!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2017 at 13:36:36 #864912

Thanks for your response Lucas.

is it likely that Jungraou gets cloudy during July in summer?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2017 at 14:28:12 #864913

It happens certainly – weather at that height (3454 meters) changes quickly and dramatically from time to time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2017 at 17:08:53 #864914

Thanks- very helpful and much needed advice!

• The thread ‘Swiss Family Card or Junior Travel Card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.