Swiss Travel Pass Flex ~ 1st Class or 2nd Class?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2017 at 15:24:02 #812393

Dear all

1. I am going to buy Swiss Travel Pass Flex 15 days for our trip in Summer. I shall travel with my son who is 8 years old. It’s because only two of us for the whole trip, Is 1st class more safe? or 2nd class already very ok in terms of safety?

2. If I have the 2nd class pass, when I upgrade the Golden Pass Line to 1st Class, is my son who have family card also entitled to 1st class without paying the upgrade charge?

Thank you!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 June 2017 at 15:28:55 #865706

Hi Cecily113,

1. There’s no difference safety wise. First class is more comfortable than second though: myswissalps.com/train/ practical/2nd1stclass.

2. Yes, he will travel along for free in any class. No upgrade required for him.

Point of sale can be found here: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpassflex/price

Enjoy your trips!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2017 at 15:35:25 #865707

Hi Arno

Thank you for your prompt reply! I can’t find the upgrade charge at SBB website when I input the exact date of travel. Any tricky here?

Besides, I sent an enquiry to SBB 5 days ago regarding the closing time of specific station’s luggage department, still no reply yet. Do you have any idea how to check the info and contact email so that I can ask directly?

Thank you!!

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 June 2017 at 16:13:57 #865708

You’re welcome!

The upgrade for the Zweisimmen – Montreux leg costs CHF 12.50. It’s the same price on any date. Note that SBB does not operate the Golden Pass line. Which station are you interested in?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2017 at 0:12:15 #865709

Dear Arno

Thank you for your information! CHF12.5 is good deal compare with the difference between 1st and 2nd class travel pass. I shall upgrade either Zweisimmen > Montbovon or Montbovon > Montreux. Do you recommend upgrade for Classic train or Panoramic train? Which route do you think its worth for upgrade? If SBB does not operate Golden Pass Line, this is still free of charge by using Swiss Travel Pass Flex, right? Thank you.

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 June 2017 at 9:53:27 #865710

Hi Cecily113,

Yes, this ride is still free. There are many train operators in Switzerland. All that matters is the map. If the route is a solid or dashed line on the map, it is free. A dotted line is discounted.

The Classic and Panoramic train are both very nice in their own way. I would pick the one that suited my plans time wise. Both segments are worth it, but Montbovon to Montreux includes the curvy descend down to Lake Geneva which is quite special.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2017 at 16:36:50 #865711

Dear Arno

Thanks for your info!! Actually I will take both routes, just not sure upgrade which route would be better or maybe upgrade both?

Just to ensure that I can buy Half Fare Card in Luzern station right? I find the card is not a printed version by home computer so I don’t understand why a photocopy can be as back up?

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 June 2017 at 17:47:58 #865712

Hi Cecily113,

Which route to upgrade is up to you I’m afraid 🙂

You can print the Swiss Half Fare Card at home by going to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. Click to the Swiss Half Fare Card and select the start date and number of passengers. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the card within 1-3 business days (often less than one day), so you can print it at home. This is the best way as you can skip the staffed ticket office in Luzern, and you will have a backup to print again if needed. A photocopy of a card is not a valid travel document.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass Flex ~ 1st Class or 2nd Class?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.