Swiss Travel pass flex usage

• Fognorth
    Participant
    29 posts
    8 April 2015 at 23:00:23 #807057

Can I assume that 1 day of travel includes trains, buses, boats? ie. take a train, ride a bus and go on a boat trip in the same day equals 1 day. I also assume that on a non “travel” day if you only take a cable car and pay a discount that this would not count on your days? Would Zermatt rides like Gornergrat count as 1 day even if that is the only thing you ride that day? Need the delineation of what counts against your pass?

Thanks so much……Tim

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 April 2015 at 5:34:30 #842361

Hi Tim,

It works a bit different: whether you want to use a travel day is up to you; it does not depend on the mode of transport. You simply write down the date in the field on the pass. Then it’s up to you to decide whether you just do a single train ride, travel all day long, or not travel at all (not recommended!).

If you don’t use a travel day, you don’t get any discounts anywhere. That’s how the standard Swiss Travel Pass Flex works. To get discounts during non-travel days, you need the Combi variant of the pass: the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi.

It’s explained on our pass page. In general, a Swiss Travel Pass for consecutive days works out easier and cheaper than a Swiss Travel Pass Flex, even if you don’t travel a lot every day. You can do the math to find out if that applies to your plans as well.

Does this answer your question?

Fognorth
    Participant
    29 posts
    9 April 2015 at 15:13:26 #842362

You used to have a month pass and if I remember right it offered more bang for your buck. I don’t see that now, so would I have to buy 2-15day passes with no price break for the 30 days? Course my 30 day pass was in 1985…lots of things have changed since then..like prices and my age :-). Thanks for your help.

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 April 2015 at 16:13:37 #842363

The one-month Swiss Travel Pass has been discontinued on January 1 of 2015. Two 15 day passes are much more expensive than the old one for a month. The closest similar pass is the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi: 15 days of free traveling and 15 days of discounted traveling within a month. Please see the Swiss Travel Pass Flex page for details and prices.

If you are not going to travel all over the country there are also regional passes that may make sense.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 April 2015 at 2:34:26 #842364

[quote]Arno said:

The one-month Swiss Travel Pass has been discontinued on January 1 of 2015. Two 15 day passes are much more expensive than the old one for a month. The closest similar pass is the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi: 15 days of free traveling and 15 days of discounted traveling within a month. Please see the Swiss Travel Pass Flex page for details and prices.

If you are not going to travel all over the country there are also regional passes that may make sense.

[/quote]

Depends on what kind of travel you do, but you might look into the One Month ( maybe 30 day) Swiss Half Fare Card for 120 CHF.

It does what it says, and if you don’t travel a lot, and are wiling to buy your tickets at half price for each trip, it might work for you.

Arno
    15483 posts
    10 April 2015 at 9:54:50 #842365

Hi,

All Swiss Half Fare Card details can be found on myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard. The price is CHF 120 or less if you buy it online. Whether it makes sense price wise should be calculated (see the link in my first reply for instructions).

Fognorth
    Participant
    29 posts
    11 April 2015 at 23:23:47 #842366

Arno

You wrote :”The closest similar pass is the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi: 15
    days of free traveling and 15 days of discounted traveling within a month“.

However on the referred page talking about the Combi it says:

Important: the Swiss Half Fare Card is only valid
    between the first and last free travel day of your Swiss Travel Pass
    Flex. If that does not fit your plans you can best buy an additional
    regular Swiss Half Fare Card, rather than this “Combi”.

This seems to imply that the Combi Half Fare Card can not be used after 15 days? as the Flex expires? Man this gets confusing ! !

Annika
    7116 posts
    12 April 2015 at 13:04:52 #842367

Hi Tim,

The Flex pass expires based on how you use it. The 15 days are flexible (within one month), so if you use the last free travel day a month after the first free travel day, you can take advantage of the Half Fare Card for the whole month.

If you would use the 15 free travel days all consecutive, then yes, the pass expires and the Half Fare Card can no longer be used. But that would not make sense. If you want that, the regular 15-day Swiss Travel Pass is a better choice as it offers 15 consecutive days for a lower price.

I hope this answers your question!

Annika

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel pass flex usage’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.