Swiss Travel Pass free day promotion North America

• Arno
    15484 posts
    28 April 2017 at 16:47:39 #811587

You can get one or two travel days for free if you live in North America and buy a Swiss Travel Pass before May 23, 2017. Please see:

Important details:

• You will get one extra travel day on the 4-day Swiss Travel Pass or two extra travel days on the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass;
    • This promotion applies to the 4- and 8-day Swiss Travel Pass, 1st or 2nd class. It also applies to the cheaper youth version of the pass;
    • This promotion does not apply to the Swiss Travel Pass Flex or any other passes;
    • The first travel day must be no later than October 27, 2017;
    • You can only take advantage of this promotion if you live in Canada, the USA or elsewhere in North America;
    • The promotion is only available through the above websites. It is not available in Switzerland or anywhere else;
    • The promotion expires on May 23, 2017.

Enjoy your (free) trips!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

ProfRob
    Participant
    12 posts
    28 April 2017 at 20:34:44 #862393

Great news! Thanks, Arno!

Beatrix
    Participant
    22 posts
    28 April 2017 at 22:15:46 #862394

Oh wow, this is such helpful information! All of you moderators are doing such an excellent job running this forum and providing so much practical and helpful information, thank you so much!

This offer is too late for me but I know many other people will greatly benefit from it. I managed to get my passes at a discounted price earlier this year, thanks to info from this forum!

Thanks again and I am so looking forward to our trip in three weeks!!!

Balan214
    Participant
    17 posts
    29 April 2017 at 0:57:31 #862395

darn! I purchased my 8 day pass a few weeks before this promo!! that extra day would have helped too since im staying 9 days.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2017 at 13:04:07 #862396

I am also looking to purchase swiss travel pass for my upcoming trip to Switzerland from 28 May. But I stay in Asia. Do you think I should wait for a bit for any upcoming promotions, will they usually have one for Asia region?

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 April 2017 at 19:37:56 #862397

Hi Waichia,

You can find the latest promotions on myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/promotions. You can keep checking that page, and we’ll also post new promotion to the forum. There is a good chance there will be another promotion but I don’t know for sure, or whether it is one that is useful for you. If there’s none, you can order through any of the retailers listed here until about 5 working days before your departure. You can order even later in most cases as it’s a print at home pass, but some slack is convenient, at least I think so.

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    1 May 2017 at 15:21:01 #862398

How is it that other vendors besides the official Swiss railway sell passes? Is there ever an issue regarding the validity of the passes bought at other than the official site? How does one know if the online site is reputable?

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    1 May 2017 at 15:23:51 #862399

I am interested in the RailEurope site, but it is not the swiss site I assume.

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 May 2017 at 15:42:32 #862400

Hi Debra,

Actually it’s similar to plane tickets or any other product: it’s not just the airline itself or a manufacturer selling the service or product. Many others offer it too and may even do a better job. You can buy travel passes for Switzerland and many other countries from the national carriers but also from other train websites and travel agents.

The Swiss Travel Pass includes nearly all train operators in Switzerland. There isn’t just one operator. The Swiss Railways (SBB) “only” operates on 70% of the routes or so. There are other routes with many other operators too. Whether you buy your Swiss Travel Pass from the SBB web shop (http://www.swissrailways.com/ en), Rail Europe or another trusted agent does not matter. They all sell the same pass. Trusted, reputable retailers are listed here: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ price. So no worries about the validity of the pass!

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    1 May 2017 at 15:51:18 #862401

Thank you, that clears it up. Also, I saw that the swiss travel pass will cover from Martigny to Chamonix/Mont Blanc, but if my pass is valid when travelling from Chamonix to Martigny, is it valid in this direction as well?

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 May 2017 at 16:00:24 #862402

You can travel in any direction on all of the routes on the validity map.

Enjoy your trip!

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    1 May 2017 at 16:09:34 #862403

Awesome, thanks! Even though I might break even or not so much, the ease of not having to go through a ticket booth or dig around for cash is worth it to me even if it costs a bit more up front. I am open to flexibility in my plans so it is difficult to say for certain how much I will be spending on travel but from what I have figured it will be pretty close.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2017 at 2:34:36 #862404

Hello- I want to buy a 8 day consecutive Swiss travel pass for my family and I. We are 2 adults, 2 kids (ages 7 and 10). I’m excited about this promo. My question is if I get the family card, will my kids get the 2 free days too? When I put in info to buy, there’s no mention of the 2 free days. Will it just pop up automatically when I get the tickets? If I choose to print the PDF of the tickets, will I get the kids’ tickets too? Thanks for your help!

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 May 2017 at 18:49:08 #862405

Hi Lgill,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Just to be sure, you did try to order from http://www.raileurope.com/rai l-tickets-passes/swiss-pass/index.html, right? That’s the website with the promotion; others do not offer this. Now, you should select “PROMO: 8 Consecutive Travel Days Plus 2 Free (e-pass)” here. After adding the passes to your shopping cart you should see “Swiss Travel Pass Valid for extensive train travel for 10 days in Switzerland in 2nd class“. The Swiss Family Card will be in your shopping cart too but there is no need for a specific duration here. It is always valid for as long as the parent passes are valid.

Does this answer your question?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2017 at 19:16:33 #862406

Thank you, Arno! Yes, I see my mistake now – I was not selecting the “PROMO” option – I just expected it to show up. Thank YOU!

Another question – it says I qualify for free shipping, but then asks for the latest date to mail them. Should I just go ahead and request a PDF of the ticket? Will I get it sooner? I’d feel more comfortable with an e-ticket anyway.

Finally – I was going to go with 2nd class since from everything I’ve read, except for the scenic trains, 2nd class seems the way to go. I don’t need seat reservations with 2nd class, right? In my cart there also appears a FREE 1 DAY TRAVEL, 1st class in Switzerland. Is that an additional day or just a free 1st class day?

Thanks so much for you all your help! Sure am glad I found this forum. I’ll be reading the whole thing over the next 2 months before my trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2017 at 20:03:18 #862407

Thanks for the info Arno. I assume that if I meet all the details, but already purchased my 8 day on-line tickets, I can’t get the xtra days added to it?

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 May 2017 at 20:52:21 #862408

Yes, just continue with the e-ticket. That’s more convenient. I don’t know what the 1st class additional day is. 2nd class is fine and you do not need reservations.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 May 2017 at 20:54:36 #862409

Hi peterzier,

No, unfortunately a pass can’t be changed once purchased. It can only be cancelled and you’d normally get an 85% refund.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 15:51:25 #862410

With the one extra day promotion for 4 day pass, does the 5th day cover every thing fully like the first four days? We are planning to take the Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano on the 5th day and want to make sure that it is covered.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 16:52:57 #862411

Yes.

The extra free day will provide the exact same coverage.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 17:50:24 #862412

Great news! Thank you Lucas

Modugu

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass free day promotion North America’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.