Swiss Travel Pass & Gotthard Panorama Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2017 at 12:00:40 #812561

I’m considering booking a Swiss Travel Pass as I will be 5 days in Switzerland. Its unreal for me to book 8 days. I am travelling from Milan and want to hook up with the Gottard Express (GPE). This system is very confusing. I thought I could connect with the GPE from Lugano, I can’t see this on the link I am directed to at HappyRail as it is currently only suggesting I can connect at Fluelen. Not sure yet best way to get from Milan to Fluelen and how to use the Swiss Travel Pass with bookings. Some suggestions assistance is welcomed. Thankyou.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 July 2017 at 12:41:05 #866485

Hi EmricaB, welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass that day the train and boat of the Gotthard Panorama Express are free of charge. You don’t need tickets. But, you do need a seat reservation for the train section: please select “Gotthard Express” from the dropdown box on http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /panoramic-trains. It says “Reservation (from/to Fluelen)”, so you can book a train to Flüelen there (from Lugano), as well as from Flüelen (not relevant for you). Click the class (1st or 2nd), then click the Pay button. In the “Route & Time” field you can fill out “Lugano to Fluelen” and the departure time from Lugano (e.g. 11:11 AM).

The Swiss Travel Pass can be purchased through any of the websites listed here, and printed at home. Happyrail is selling it too so that might be the most convenient option: http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /swiss-travel-pass-consecutive.

Additionally you’ll need a ticket from Milan to Chiasso (the border). From there to Lugano is covered by the pass. Websites selling this are listed here.

Enjoy the ride!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2017 at 12:51:44 #866486

Thank you. That feels like it makes sense finally! Much appreciated.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass & Gotthard Panorama Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.