Swiss Travel Pass + Half Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2016 at 0:58:51 #809624

Hi,

This website, is full of amazing information! Thank you!

On the promotions page, there shows a promotion that if you click it it shows (I think) the following – 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass + 1/2 card for 8 days for $425; Swiss Travel Pass for $371 – thus $54 difference. We are planning on 8 consecutive days, however we are thinking we will be trying to do top of Europe, and some other ones that the Swiss Travel Pass only gives 25% discount. For example, J.F. with STP – $128, with 1/2 fare is $85 ($43 savings with promotion of both) + we need a regular ticket for Zurich to Lucerne which would be $29 (no pass, outside our 8 consecutive days) or $15 1/2 card ($14 savings)….so I am thinking this promotion might be ideal for us as with those two planned routes the cost is recooped, plus there are other “special” routes where the 1/2 card appears to be better? Can you tell if I am thinking of this properly? Also, is the promotion date = travel by date or purchase by date? Thank you in advance for any comments.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 July 2016 at 7:09:08 #853869

Hi tlw, welcome to MySwissAlps,

The only example of the Swiss Travel Pass granting less discount than the Swiss Half Fare Card is Jungfraujoch. With the Swiss Travel Pass you will get part of that ride for free and another part is 25% off. With the Swiss Half Fare Card the entire ride is 50% off. In all it’s not that big of a difference (not enough to buy another pass). In all other cases the Swiss Travel Pass offers the same or a better discount (several free mountain trips, free museums, free boat trips). Note that pass discounts can’t be combined. You can only use one pass at the time to get a discount.

Can you share your exact travel dates and travel plans? Please also post the URL of the promotion you saw. I am not aware of any promotion for the combination of these two passes. You normally need one of the passes, not both. I checked myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ promotions but didn’t find anything like you described.

Hope to hear back from you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2016 at 14:38:44 #853870

Hi Arno,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it and understand the explanation. I was thinking there were more discounts, with the 1/2 Fare, but realizing it is mostly Jungfraujoch that makes sense not worth it to double up. Here is the link to what I thought I saw. http://www.raileurope-world.com/deals/Europe SummerSales – on the right,there was a box of four offers, this one is/was currently in the bottom left.

Our set basic structure/plan is arrive – Lucerne – three nights; then to Wengen for three nights; then to Zermatt – two nights; then Glacier Express (I did the seat reservation) to Chur then to Zurich for departure evening. We are hoping for lots of moderate hiking/viewing excursions to mountains (day & 1/2 day trips). Are timing is mid September.

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2016 at 14:40:36 #853871

Hi Arno,

Additional information, that link just takes you to the basic page, sorry. – after that link select rail pass tab then switzerland for country and then it should bring up what I describe above.

Thank you!

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 July 2016 at 15:08:28 #853872

Hi tlw,

Thank you for the additional information. I now see what you mean. That box labeled “Swiss Travel Pass + Half Fare Card” is a bit confusing, as the actual name of what they are selling there is the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi. That’s not a consecutive day Swiss Travel Pass. It’s a flex pass allowing you to pick free travel days within one month, and use the included Swiss Half Fare Card on the “non-free travel days”. You’ll find details here: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpassflex. This pass is pretty expensive and, in general, works best when spending more than 15 days in Switzerland.

I think it’s best to buy an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass for day 2 to 9 and buy a regular single ticket Zurich airport – Lucerne for day 1. If you want, you can compare passes price wise as explained here: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/ chooserailpass.

For Swiss Travel Pass promotions, please see here: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ promotions.

For hiking tips, please see here: myswissalps.com/hiking.

Mid September is a wonderful time, good choice.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass + Half Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.