Swiss Travel Pass or ??? for Austria & Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2016 at 14:15:53 #808700

Hello!

I’ve been filling out your rail pass calculation spreadsheet, and I’m wondering if my thought process is correct. My wife and I are spending 5 days in the Jungfrau region at the start of our trip, then traveling to Wasserauen for one day, then to Innsbruck and Salzburg in Austria for 4 days total, then finally back to Lucerne for two days then flying home after that. The confusing part of selecting a pass in this case is leaving Switzerland in the middle of our visit (such that a Swiss pass is useless). Here’s the relevant information:

Day 1: ZRH Airport to Wengen 87.40 CHF

Day 2 through Day 5: Stay in Wengen and Jungfrau Region (UNKNOWN RAIL COSTS HERE)

Day 6: Travel from Wengen to Wasserauen 108.40 CHF

Day 7: Travel from Wasserauen to Herisau 13.80 CHF

Day 7: Travel from Herisau to Innsbruck 19.00 EUR (SWISS PASS NOT VALID)

Day 8: Stay in Innsbruck

Day 9: Travel from Innsbruck to Salzburg 14.00 EUR (SWISS PASS NOT VALID)

Day 10: Stay in Salzburg

Day 11: Travel from Salzburg to Lucerne 34.00 EUR (SWISS PASS NOT VALID)

Day 11: Travel from Lucerne to Ennetburgen 7.60 CHF

Day 12: Stay in Ennetburgen

Day 13: Travel from Ennetburgen to Rumlang (Near ZRH) 35.60 CHF

As you can see, my costs so far for Swiss rail travel are 252.80 CHF per person. This does not include travel in the Jungfrau Region as I haven’t planned the details of that yet (can you tell me which website I can find the costs for rail travel in that region)? My costs for travel in Austria are immaterial, but total roughly 67 EUR per person. My guess is that once I fill out the Jungfrau costs and factor in a 50% discount using various passes, it’s going to be a close decision cost-wise. What are your thoughts thus far?

Thanks for any advice,

John

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 March 2016 at 20:06:34 #849744

Hi John, welcome to our website!

A Swiss Travel Pass is indeed less than ideal because of your side trip to Austria. I would recommend to compare the Swiss Half Fare Card and the Swiss Travel Pass Flex. My assumption is that the first one turns out to be cheaper, but the second one is more convenient.

All our attraction pages have links to the standard prices, e.g. at the bottom of myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch/tickets.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass or ??? for Austria & Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.