Swiss Travel Pass – routes and discounts

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2015 at 11:41:12 #807221

Hi,

I’ve been doing some research and planning for my upcoming trip to Switzerland, and have found a lot of very useful information on this site.

I plan to purchase a Swiss Travel Pass and have looked through the various websites and maps to see the routes that are covered as free train travel and the routes where the pass provides a discount. I still have a question on the Lötschberg RegioExpress. Is the dotted line along the Lötschberg RegioExpress (from the SBB “area of validity” map) indicating a tunnel or that it’s a route with 50% discount?

Would really appreciate any help to clarify this!

Mary

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    14 May 2015 at 11:57:32 #843082

Hi Mary,

That’s a tunnel, and it’s fully covered. It’s explained on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/validity. The various points of sale can be found on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/price.

Enjoy your train trips!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2015 at 12:31:07 #843083

Thanks Annika!

One more question – I’m picking between a Swiss Travel Pass (8 days) or a half fare card. I’m mostly taking short trips during the 8 days (Zurich to Luzern to Interlaken etc).

Do both passes / cards offer 25% discount on the train to Jungfraujoch? Or does the half fare card entitle me to 50% discount on this train as well?

Annika
    7103 posts
    15 May 2015 at 5:48:10 #843084

Hi Mary!

The Swiss Travel Pass offers free traveling up to Wengen/Grindelwald, and a 25% discount on the remaining part. The Swiss Half Fare Card gives 50% off the entire route. You can check the Swiss Travel Pass validity and the Swiss Half Fare Card validity overviews for a detailed comparison.

Here are further tips that may help you decide which pass is best.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass – routes and discounts’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.