Swiss Travel Pass group or senior discount?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2016 at 1:21:32 #808806

Last time we visited Zurich (apx. 10 years ago) we bought a Swiss Travel Pass for two adults, and it was discounted if we travel together compared with 2 single passes.

This time I found no discounts of a kind.

Could you tell/suggest me if there are group discounts on travel passes, please?

Also, do you know if there is a discount for adults over 60 years old?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 April 2016 at 5:32:35 #850294

Hi addavydov, welcome to MySwissAlps,

Good to hear you’ll be visiting Switzerland again! The “Saver” prices for groups have been discontinued at the end of 2014, but the same prices now apply to everyone including single travelers. So the name is gone but the prices are still the same (apart from a bit of inflation). There are no senior discounts.

From the US, you can purchase the passes through http://www.raileurope.com/rai l-tickets-passes/swiss-pass/index.html or http://www.swissrailways.com/ en and print them at home for immediate use upon arrival, so that saves you time. All purchase options are listed here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2016 at 15:21:37 #850295

Dear Arno,

Thank you for your prompt and detailed response.

1. Are online prices the same as at the station? If yes, that does save us time to but online and bypass validation, etc.

2. May we return unused pass at the station if some of us change plans and do not join us on this vacation?

3. Lastly, does it make more sense to buy Swiss Travel Card/pass or other card/pass if we travel only once or twice a day round trip? I mean we go from Zurich to some city and maybe the next one and come back to Zurich, and we do it for only six days.

Thanks in advance!

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 April 2016 at 16:56:14 #850296

Hi addavydov,

1. Did you check the last link in my previous post? All the prices are there. As you can see there buying online through the two sites I mentioned is the same price or nearly the same price, depending on where you buy. It saves you time as no validation is required, and no waiting for a ticket office. You can go straight to your train.

2. No I don’t think so. You need to return it to where you purchased from. In most cases you’ll get a 85% refund.

3. That depends on your itinerary. You can list your travel plans and do the math as explained here.

I hope this was useful!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2016 at 1:11:27 #850297

Very useful answers. Thanks a million!

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass group or senior discount?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.