Swiss Travel Pass/Zurich Travel Card best choice?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2020 at 20:24:24 #825692

Here is our summer 2021 itinerary. My thoughts are to purchase a 15 day STP for our Lucerne-Bernese Oberland travel and get a Zurich Travel Card or day passes for the last 3 days. We are hikers/walkers and not that interested in the Zurich “attractions.” It will be our chance to wind down before heading home.The only reason we are staying 3 nights in Zurich is that my travel agent got us a very nice flight/hotel package deal. Do these travel passes seem like good choices? By the way, we opted for a “cancel for any reason” travel insurance policy.

Summer 2021 (fingers crossed) Day 1 Arrive in Zurich, purchase 15 Day Swiss Travel Pass, take train to Lucerne

Days 1-3 Stay in Lucerne

Day 4 Take trains to Wengen

Days 4-7 Stay in Wengen

Days 8-14 Stay in Gimmelwald

Day 15 Take trains to Zurich

Days 15-17 Stay in Zurich

Day 18 Take train to Zurich airport, fly back to USA

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6275 posts
    19 September 2020 at 20:57:45 #934298

Hi FranknCarrie,

Welcome to MySwissAlps and thank you for sharing your itinerary.

I think opting for the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass for your trip is a good decision: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass. For your stay in Zurich, you could check with the hotel you’re booked with if they offer any visitor card for hotel guests. Additionally, The Zurich Card may be a good option if you wish to explore the city and enjoy boat rides on Lake Zurich. You can find more information about how to travel around Zurich, including a link to purchase the Zurich Card online here: http://www.myswissalps.com/zurich/travel

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2020 at 21:14:31 #934299

Thank you! It’s still early but we are excited to start making plans.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2020 at 21:58:43 #934300

Some commenst:

Any particular reason for you staying in Wengen and then Gimmelwald separately – as they are only a few km apart?

There is nothing wrong with ‘Zurich’s attractions‘ even for hikers/walkers. Zurich has its own mountain (Uetliberg), and like all places in Switzerland, the countryside is never very far away.

You could use the Swiss Travel Pass on arrival in Zurich for the rest of that day

You could get a short hop ticket hotel – airport so wouldn’t need a pass.

Danielsan
    Participant
    628 posts
    23 September 2020 at 5:11:36 #934301

Hi FranknCarrie,

I second the thoughts of 1960man. Gimmelwald is at the other end of the valley from Wengen, a little past Murren. It is a beautiful and charming village, but you can pretty much see it in the same time you visit Murren, if you are planning to. It is a very tiny village and to stay one night should be more than enough time. Personally (and that’s all it is) I would split that week between Zermatt and another city/town/village (perhaps Montreux/Lake Geneva region). If your spending 2.5 weeks in Switzerland, Zermatt should be on your list. (Again, strictly my opinion). It would be kind of a shame to miss the iconic mountain of the country (The Matterhorn). There are tons of hiking and other activities there, tons. You have plenty of time to plan, change plans, and change again as your mind goes. Check into Zermatt in your planning and I believe you will not be disappointed, and that you’ll find something there to hold your interest. Your getting the STP, so getting there won’t be any problem at all. Just some food for thought. Wherever you do decide to go, it will be a great trip. Enjoy your planning, and, my fingers are crossed too! I sincerely hope it happens.

Danielsan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2020 at 19:19:02 #934302

1960man,

Thanks for the suggestion on the short hop ticket hotel – airport in Zurich. I’ll take a look at that. We found a great deal for a week in Gimmelwald staying at the Chalet Eschen. We still wanted a few more days in the area but not another week so we found agreeable dates at the Chalet Protea in Wengen. I know it’s pretty near but we thought maybe just a few days from another perspective might be enjoyable.

FranknCarrie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2020 at 20:14:14 #934303

Hi FranknCarrie,

you’ll find recommended Zurich airport hotels at http://www.myswissalps.com/zurichairporthotels. Some information about the Zurich airport can be found at http://www.myswissalps.com/airports/zurich.

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass/Zurich Travel Card best choice?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.