Swiss trip planning

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2013 at 6:51:42 #805866

We 2 adults will be in Switzerland for 3 days(2 full days of sightseeing) in June. I have decided for a day each at Jungfrou and Gstaad(Alpine coaster ride ) and Wengen as base. Now I have few questions.

1. Is it possible to cove anything more than these 2 places in 2 full days so I can plan.
    2. I have decided Wengen as a base. Is train travel convenient from here considering I would be coming from Paris and leaving to Venice from Interlaken west st. I know interlaken would be a better option to travel but I want to stay in wengen due to its more natural and less crowd. Do I need to change my base or Wengen will serve my purpose?
    3. Will swiss half fare card will be the best option considering my traveling.
    4. Do I need to purchase any train ticket and Jungfrou ticket in advance or all can be bought from Interlaken stations.

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    11 March 2013 at 16:26:57 #838270

Hi adsha! You can’t plan any other major attractions, but you will be able to see more of the Jungfrau region on the day of your trip to the Jungfraujoch. You can best take a ride up via Wengen and down via Grindelwald, to cover both scenic routes. Also consider the beautiful Lauterbrunnen valley, including the Trümmelbach falls. Gstaad requires quite a long trip from Wengen. Please check for yourself in the timetable; staying in Wengen instead of Interlaken adds 45 to 50 minuten to a single trip. It’s lovely and very scenic though, so if that’s what you prefer Wengen is fine. Considering the rather journey to Gstaad, you may want to spend the second day in the Interlaken region too.

Will you be doing all trips, including the trips from Paris and to Venice, by train? In that case a Swiss Card would be best. It grants a free trip from the French-Swiss border (depending on your route from Paris this will be Geneva or Basel) to Mürren, and from Mürren or Interlaken West to the Swiss-Italian border (depending on your connection: most probably Domodossola). Please find details and purchase options at the Swiss Card page.

Tickets for international train trips (from Paris and to Venice) should be arranged for in advance, as a seat reservation is often required. For your other trips you can simply buy your tickets from the (Interlaken or Wengen) train stations before boarding.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2013 at 7:42:04 #838271

Thanks Modanika for the detailed reply. It was really helpful.

I have decided on few points.

1. I will take accomandation at Interlaken due to the transport feasibility. As my train departs, arrives, trip to Gastaad all things to be done from Interlaken so that seems to be the best option. If we will get time, we will go to Wengen or Lauterbrunnen and will come back to Interlaken during late evening.
    2. Will purchase all Swiss tickets and half fare card at local ticket counters (no advance booking), and will buy international tickets in advance.

2 small questions.

1. Can we take Golden pass and from Interlaken to montreux and cover Gstaad in between on the same day. Is Golden pass tickets required to be booked in advance.
    2. Which swiss card would be feasible considering my international journeys from Paris to Interlaken and Interlaken to Venice. Also local trips to Jungfrou and Gstaad or Golden pass trains. (I was considering hard fare as the best option).

Annika
    7103 posts
    12 March 2013 at 15:56:57 #838272

Hi adsha. Yes, you can get out in Gstaad, do some sightseeing there and continue on the next train to Montreux. You’ll have to book seats in advance, and in this case you will have to do so for both separate legs of your journey, as you’re bound to specific trains and departure times. Further information on seat reservation can be found here. You can also choose to continue on a regular train that doesn’t require seat reservation. The route is still the same, it just isn’t a panoramic train with larger windows. If you want to get back to Interlaken that same afternoon or evening, do prepare for a long travel day.

As for rail passes: I think a Swiss Card is best in your case. It’s about equally expensive as the Swiss Half Fare Card solution, but more convenient as you won’t need any tickets for the legs Swiss border-Interlaken and Interlaken-Swiss border. Do note that you’ll have to get out at the border station (Basel or Geneva) during your inbound trip to buy your Swiss Card, so it might be easier to order it in advance and just stay seated (this is especially convenient if you travel via Lausanne and Bern, as this connection doesn’t require you to change trains at the border station of Geneva). Both passes cover the Jungfraujoch and the Golden Pass trains, except for seat reservations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2013 at 5:18:13 #838273

Thanks again.
    From your inputs, I have decided not to go for golden pass trains. As the local trains will provide us freedom to get down at any point and duration. We will continue the same way to Montreux.
    From the replies, it looks there is no advance booking required in switzerland for trains including Jungrou trip(apart from international transfers). Please correct me i am wrong.

Secondly I am trying to book train ticket from Paris to Interlaken and it has only one option of half fare in the discounted tickets. Why swiss card option is not there as its valid on swiss border trains. Also if I book the ticket with half fare, can i take the ticket at swiss border (I think its Basel).

Annika
    7103 posts
    15 March 2013 at 12:45:02 #838274

Hi adsha. That’s right, you don’t have to book trains in advance except for the international trains. What website are you trying to order your ticket Paris-Interlaken from? If it’s the SBB website, fill out ‘GA’ in either 1st or 2nd class when asked for reductions for Switzerland. This ‘General Abonnement’ grants the same free traveling as the Swiss Card does for your inbound trip, so the Swiss leg of the trip will be for free if you choose this option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2013 at 7:05:16 #838275

Yes I am booking via SBB website. How to buy GA tickets, is it same as Swiss card.

I checked tickets for June from paris to Interlaken, but it seems that the tickets are not available yet, is there any update when those will be available. I think new timetable is not available yet.

Another thing is if I check the current tickets, train change timing at Basel is only for 5 min. I dont think i can buy the tickets at the station, so do I need to pre-order them to my country.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2013 at 18:30:02 #838276

Hi …me and my family are arriving to Geneve on Monday 25th of March ,and we are going
    to stay for 3 days , and then we are gonig to Zurich for another 3 days.
    please could you tell me which is the most important places to visit.
    many thanks
    Manal

Annika
    7103 posts
    17 March 2013 at 5:41:42 #838277

Hi adsha! You don’t have to actually buy GA tickets. It’s only an option you should select to indicate that the Swiss leg of your trip to Paris is for free, since you have a Swiss Card that will cover this leg. So just select this at the SBB website when ordering your ticket and you’ll get a ticket for the entire trip, but you’ll only have to pay for the French leg. Show your Swiss Card to the train conductor as long as you’re still in Switzerland and that’s it.

I seem to be able to book tickets for June, so I’m not sure why you can’t. What is the exact message you get when trying to book a ticket through the SBB? If there seems to be some error in the ordering system you can best contact the SBB. No, I wouldn’t get the ticket in Basel either if I were you. Five minutes is too short and moreover trains to Paris might be fully booked by then. You can arrange for your Swiss Card in advance through one of the resellers listed at the Swiss Card page.

Annika
    7103 posts
    17 March 2013 at 5:43:57 #838278

[quote]manal said: Hi …me and my family are arriving to Geneve on Monday 25th of March ,and we are going
    to stay for 3 days , and then we are gonig to Zurich for another 3 days.
    please could you tell me which is the most important places to visit.
    many thanks
    Manal[/quote]

Hi Manal. Would you please create a new topic for your question, as mentioned in our forum rules? It would help if you could be a bit more specific about your preferences: culture, natural sights, train trips, hiking, etc? Thank you :-)!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2013 at 6:08:27 #838279

Thanks for clearing the doubt. I am trying to book in 3 week of June. I think you checked in first week of June as its allowing at that time. But after 10th June, its not allowing from Paris to Interlaken and also for Interlaken to Venice.

Annika
    7103 posts
    19 March 2013 at 13:44:20 #838280

Hi adsha. Right, I see what you mean. Many booking systems don’t allow bookings further ahead than 3 months from now. So if you wait a bit, you should be able to get your tickets and reservations. Alternatively, you can book through the systems mentioned here (point to point ticket search). You may get your tickets along with your Swiss Card through the same reseller in one order.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2013 at 4:29:17 #838281

Hi …I´m going with my kids so ,I would like to know if there is any activities for kids
    during this time ,and also about the food,and the special dish ,that you should not miss,
    many thanks
    Manal

Annika
    7103 posts
    20 March 2013 at 13:50:41 #838282

[quote]manal said: Hi …I´m going with my kids so ,I would like to know if there is any activities for kids
    during this time ,and also about the food,and the special dish ,that you should not miss,
    many thanks
    Manal[/quote]

Hi Manal. Again, as asked above and mentioned in the forum rules: please create a new topic for your question. It’s quite confusing if different non-related questions are treated within the same topic. You can do so here.

• The thread ‘Swiss trip planning’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.