Swisss Rail Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2010 at 15:34:18 #804033

Hi
    We are a family of 5 travelling to Switzerland 26 Dec 2010.
    How long would we expect for delivery of our Swiss rail passes?
    We are 2 adults and 3 children 11,9 and 7.
    What is our best option for tickets?
    Our planned trips are Zurich airport to Vuadens , then hopefully some mountain journeys from Vuadens.
    What would you suggest as being good 1 day trips from there?
    Our trip out of Switzerland is on Jan 2 2011.
    It will be Vuadens to Manarola in Italy.
    From my research it looks like quite a long trip. What are your suggestions here?
    How do we book it as it goes from one country to another?
    Does the swiss rail pass cover any of it or will it be seperate?
    We await your reply.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 November 2010 at 17:51:15 #831915

Hi bandit,

I noticed in one of your other posts that you live in Australia. Shipping would take a couple of working days, but it depends on the pass: the Swiss Half Fare Card will be shipped from Europe (at least 5 working days) and the others from Australia.

I would recommend to look into the Swiss Half Fare Card if you have planned short local trips, or the Swiss Saver Pass if you intend to make long day trips. In both cases, the children will travel along for free, so you only need to pay for the adults. Both passes will be valid until either Chiasso or Domodossola when you’re traveling to Italy. Tickets to Italy can be purchased via the timetable.

Regarding day trips: I’m not really familiar with winter day trips in that area, but some suggestions are city trips to Lausanne or Bern or scenic train rides such as Zweisimmen – Montreux (the Golden Pass route).

I hope this get’s you going!

• The thread ‘Swisss Rail Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.