Swiss Travel Pass valid from Geneva to Interlaken?

• ramaven
    Participant
    2 posts
    3 May 2016 at 20:51:38 #809092

Hi,

I will be travelling to Switzerland first time with my family (2 adults + 2 kids ( 5 years and 9 years)) end of May 2016. We will be staying 4 days at Interlaken West during our entire trip.

Day 1. Arrival Geneva morning (sightseeing in Geneva from 9am till 2pm ). Departing from Geneva (16:00) to Interlaken West.

Can you please advice, Does swiss travel pass valid from Geneva to Interlaken west (Train type – Inter Region)?

I can see three options train fare/buy section (no reduction, half fare card and children) in SBB train website. They don’t mention in swisstravel pass.

Day 2. Interlaken west to Engelberg to Mount Titlis & Mount titlis to Engelberg to Interlaken West. Is this manageable trip?

Day 3. Interlaken west to Lake thun cruise trip. Can you please suggest some place half day trip?

Day 4. Interlaken West to Zweisimmen/Zweisimmen – Montreux (Golden Pass Line ). Montreux to Interlaken West

Day 5. Interlaken West to Zurich and leaving back to London.

Can you please let me know, What would be best swiss travel pass (4 days or 8 days) for my entire trip?

Many thanks for your help.

Venkatesh

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    4 May 2016 at 6:32:10 #851552

Welcome to MySwissAlps, Venkatesh!

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass is valid for Geneva-Interlaken and pretty much any other train route in Switzerland. The type of train doesn’t matter. The “Validity” section of our Swiss Travel Pass page provides all details. You don’t have to get tickets in advance, so searching for ticket prices for the trips planned with your Swiss Travel Pass isn’t necessary. Rides will just be for free on all routes indicated on the validity map.

I’d say a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass, plus regular full fare tickets for day 5, should work. If you want to be sure, you can calculate your options using these guidelines. Purchase options are listed here.

Interlaken to Titlis is doable, but it’s a long travel day. Note that there are plenty of viewing points much closer to Interlaken such as Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch, Männlichen, First, etcetera. Further day trip can be found at http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland/activiti es. Visits to Bern, Thun, Spiez, Beatenberg/Niederhorn or the Beatus caves can be combined with a boat trip over Lake Thun.

ramaven
    Participant
    2 posts
    6 May 2016 at 19:23:31 #851553

Many thanks Anika.

I will go for 4 day Swiss travel pass as per your advice and my calculation as well.

I have two clarifications,

My understanding Swiss travel pass is valid within Geneva local transport bus and trams. Please correct me if i am wrong..

My second kid is 5 1/2 years old, children can travel free up to 5 years old as per Swiss railway website so i think family card is not required for her. Please advice.

Now I am planning to go for Jungfraujoch as well as part of my trip.

Thanks you very much for your help.

Venkatesh

Annika
    7121 posts
    7 May 2016 at 12:14:49 #851554

Hi Venkatesh,

Good to hear you’ve been able to make a decision! Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass will cover urban transportation in Geneva. Your 5 year old doesn’t need a Swiss Family Card, but you’ll have to order one for your 9 year old anyway. I recommend purchasing your passes through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en or http://www.swissrailway.co.uk (since you’re based in the UK). Both allow you to order along the free Swiss Family Card and to opt for online print at home passes that don’t require additional shipping or handling fees.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass valid from Geneva to Interlaken?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.