Switzerland Eight Days -travel pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2011 at 12:23:36 #804100

Hi all, I am planning to go to Switzerland after going to Austria for seven days. We are a family of four from Hong Kong. I am confused about the transportation pass that i should buy. Also, is there any pass which include Glacier express or i need to buy a pass particular for glacier express. Which pass is the best for me and can you suggest a route to travel around Switzerland since i don’t know where to start and we are leaving at Zurich.

Thanks a lot

Jessica

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    27 January 2011 at 16:57:43 #832120

Hello Jessica, and welcome! If you want to travel around the country during one week, my advice is to make use of an 8 day Swiss Saver Pass. For children up to and including 15 years old, a free STS Family Card can be ordered along, allowing them to travel along for free with the parents on all trips. The Swiss Saver Pass allows free travelling on regular trains, buses and boats throughout the country, which means that you’ll be travelling very comfortably as you don’t have to purchase tickets for each trip. For a roundabout journey of a week it’s most probably the cheapest solution as well.

Numerous routes are available. One example, crossing some of the most well-known towns and regions, could look like this:
    – from Zurich to St. Moritz;
    – from St. Moritz to Zermatt by Glacier Express;
    – from Zermatt to Interlaken via Brig, Goppenstein, Frutigen and Spiez, making use of the regional Lötschberg Express, taking you right across the Alps;
    – OR: travel from Zermatt to Interlaken via Montreux, Gstaad, Zweisimmen and Spiez, along the Golden Pass route;
    – from Interlaken to Lucerne;
    – from Lucerne to Zurich.
    Such a travel scheme may be quite exhaustive though. You may want to opt for a less tight schedule, allowing you to stay based in a few towns during two or three nights. Please check the website for more information on the Bernese Oberland, Graubünden and Wallis. This may give you a better idea of which towns and regions you’d like to visit. The Swiss timetable allows you to make up your own travel scheme.

The Swiss Saver Pass covers special panoramic trains, such as the Glacier Express and the Golden Pass route, as well. You do have to arrange for seat reservations, and they have to be paid for separately.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2011 at 3:14:07 #832121

Thank you for your reply.
    we are 18 and 17 already. are we qualify for the family pass?

jessica

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 January 2011 at 8:35:09 #832122

Hi Jessica,

You qualify for the Swiss Youth Pass. It’s the same as a Swiss Saver Pass, only cheaper. Please review the Swiss Saver Pass page for details.

• The thread ‘Switzerland Eight Days -travel pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.