5 days Lucerne, Interlaken & Zurich in late June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2017 at 15:58:07 #810841

Hi,

Me & my wife will be there for approx 5 Days (2N Lucerne, 2N Interlaken, 1N Zurich)

21st Jun

Arrival at Zurich Airport around 11 AM

Zurich to Lucerne (1 Hr), Check In

Golden Round Trip to Mt Pilatus (5 Hrs)

Explore Lucerne (What can we visit?)

Overnight at Lucerne

22nd Jun

Early Morning to Mt Titlis – (5 Hrs)

Suggest how to include beautiful sections of Bernina/Glacier Express & be at Lucerne by night

Overnight at Lucerne

23rd Jun

Lucerne to Interlaken by Golden Pass Line (2 Hrs),Check In

Schilthorn Excursion (5-6 Hrs)

Overnight at Interlaken

24th Jun

Early Morning to Jungfraujoch, Depart at 06:35 – (8-9 hrs)

Come back by 4 covering Grindelwald, Trummelbach Falls

Explore Interlaken (What can we visit? – Lakes/Visit Bern?)

Overnight at Interlaken

25th Jun

Interlaken to Zurich (2 Hrs)

Trip to Rhine Falls(4 Hrs) & Explore Zurich (Lake Zurich,Chappel Bridge,Lion Monument,etc)

Overnight at Zurich

26th Jun

Checkout & leave for Airport. Flight at 11:20AM

QUESTIONS

1. Will it be worth to buy the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass considering we are there only for 5 full days?

2. Should we buy the tickets for Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn, Titlis & Pilatus excursion in advance?

3. Is the duration of all these 4 excursions mentioned correct in my plan?

4. Is it possible to cover Jungfraujoch/Schilthorn on the same day?

5. Is it possible to cover Mt Titlis & Mt Pilatus on the same day?

6. Where should we go first – Interlaken or Lucerne from Zurich?

7. Which are the most scenic sections of Glacier & Bernina Express? How can I include both these trains in my trip after being based at Lucerne/Interlaken? Open to change in my planned itinerary.. Pls suggest.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2017 at 18:10:18 #859117

Hi GRVDEO and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. It does look like the Swiss Travel Pass would be worth it for you – especially as once you have it you can just hop-on and off trains as you wish without worrying about buying tickets each time – very convenient. The only way to know for sure is to do the math. Here is a page that will help you.
    2. Are you talking about a tour or just the train tickets? If just train tickets then there is no need to do in advance.
    3. The tours you mentioned do state the tour length (ie Golden round trip to Mt. Pilatus) so that is correct. Trips like “Early Morning to Mt Titlis – (5 Hrs)” is a good estimate but its hard to say how much time you will want to stay there.
    4. That would be long, long day and I wouldn’t recommend it.
    5. This is more likely for sure but still makes for a long day if you are ok with that.
    6. Luzern (local German spelling) is closest to Zurich so it may make sense to go there first.
    7. This will be a little tough / complicated but From Luzern or Interlaken I would travel to Zermatt to take the Glacier Express, overnight in Chur and then the Bernina Express the next morning to Lugano or Tirano. It sounds like you are limited to 5 days so i would just do one.Probably the Glacier Express to Chur and then train back to Zurich and the airport.

I hope that helps get you started on refining the itinerary. Let me know if you have more questions or concerns!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2017 at 7:25:08 #859118

Hi Lucas,

Thanks a lot for the quick revert.

We will be taking a 8 day Swiss Travel Pass. If I am not mitaken, basis that, we get 50% or 25% discounts on trips to Mt Jungfraujoch (CHF135), Mt Titlis (CHF57) etc.Is that required to be booked in advance? On web, lot of people have said, don’t book in advance as it is not worth to go up if it is cloudy.Any idea how will the weather be during our visit to these places?

Still working on how to include these panoramic trains in my trip. May be cover Mt Pilatus & Mt Titlis on the same day and go for the Glacier & Bernina exp on other day or may be skip Schilthorn.

By the way, does the overall itinerary look fine to you?

Annika
    7116 posts
    18 February 2017 at 16:37:03 #859119

Hi GRVDEO,

You’re right, Engelberg-Titlis is discounted by 50% and Grindelwald/Wengen-Jungfraujoch by 25% (the route as far as Grindelwald/Wengen is covered). Such details can be found at our Swiss Travel Pass validity page, and on our Titlis and Jungfraujoch ticket pages. You don’t have to book such trips in advance. It’s better to see how weather turns out and get your discounted tickets at the spot upon showing your Swiss Travel Pass.

I think the schedule you listed looks just fine! I wouldn’t try to cram in more and combine too many visits in a short time frame. Your itinerary doesn’t easily leave room for the Glacier or Bernina Express, as Lucas noted. They’re in very different parts of the country and you’d have to change your plans in order to incorporate them. Lucas provided a good option: using the Glacier Express to Chur and then heading for Zurich. Also have a look at “Don’t have time to do the full route?” at myswissalps.com/glacie rexpress. You’ll have to skip some of your other plans for such a journey though, and your itinerary will get a bit more rushed. But of course it all comes down to personal preferences!

Please find Swiss Travel Pass retailers here.

• The thread ‘5 days Lucerne, Interlaken & Zurich in late June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.