Switzerland Holidays

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2012 at 10:14:06 #805379

Hi,
    I am back again (I have to open a new topic because the previous one has been closed).
    My wife and I will be spending two weeks touring Switzerland and here is the itinerary.
    02-07- arrive at Geneva Airport and take regional train to Montreux for 2 nights.
    04-07- Golden Pass Line to Interlaken -4 nights
    08-07- Golden Pass Line to Lucerne-4 nights
    12-07-Wilhelm Tell Express to Lugano
    13-07-Bernina Express to St. Moritz
    14-07-Glacier Express to Zermatt-3 nights
    17-07-departing from Geneva Airport
    We plan to cover as many scenic places as possible particularly in Interlaken and Lucerne and my queries are:
    (i) What pass is best for us , a 15 day saver pass or a 6 day flexi saver pass?
    (ii) Do we still need to have the Regional Pass-Bernese Oberland, Jungfrau Centenary Pass or the Unlimited Travel with the Jungfrau Railways pass in addition to the Swiss Pass or Flexi Saver Pass?
    (iii) What happen if a person make a seat reservation online for a scenic train and does not take the trip,will he be charged for the full train fare as well or only the supplement fees ?
    I hope your advice would help us to decide on the best options in order to minimise the transportation cost.
    Thank you.

looban

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    9 June 2012 at 5:00:15 #836452

Hello Looban. You should indeed use either a Swiss Saver Flexi Pass or a regular Swiss Saver Pass. A 15 day Swiss Saver Pass would be best if you want to travel quite a lot during your stays in Interlaken, Lucerne, Lugano etc. as well. It’s certainly the most convenient option, as it allows to go wherever you want during your entire trip. A 6 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass might be more economical if you plan to make short, cheap journeys only in between the longer transfers, but it does require you to buy additional discounted tickets for these trips. Another disadvantage is that you should start using it from July 4, meaning that there are no discounts whatsoever during your first two days in Geneva and Montreux.

No, you don’t need any other pass if you use either the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass or the Swiss Saver Pass.

If you don’t use your seat reservation, you will only loose the money you spent on that reservation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2012 at 8:21:43 #836453

Hi Annika,
    Thanks for the advice.
    We plan to cover while
    in Interlaken (3 1/2 days) : Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn, Trummelbachfalle, Brienzer Rothorn, Harder Kulm,Glessbachfalle, St. Beatus-Hohlen and the
    Rosenlaui Glacier Gorge .
    in Lucerne (3 1/2 days) : Mt Pilatus, Mt Titlis and Rigi
    and in Zermatt (2 1/2 days): Klein Matterhorn, Matterhorn Glacier Paradise and Rothorn Paradise.

Do you think it is doable for Interlaken .

The websites highly recommend Centovalli and Lötschberger Express, can we do the Centovalli trip also while in Zermat.
    Are Centovalli and Lötschberger Express covered by the Swiss Pass and are seat reservations necessary, especially the
    later since we have a plane to catch. If yes, how do we make the reservations.

On 17th July, we have to be in Geneva Airport for flight to London departing at 15:30. We plan to take a train to Brig to join the
    Lötschberger Express to Bern and from there take another train to Geneva Airport.
    According to the online timetable, we can take :
    Zermatt to Brig Bahnhofplatz ( 07:39–09:03), 7 min walk from Brig Bahnhofplatz to Brig to board the Lötschberger Express
    at 09:36 and arriving Bern at11:20 where we can take the 11:34 train to Geneva Airport.
    As our belongings include a 20Kg baggage, is the time for changing trains sufficient?
    Does the 7 min walk in Brig confine to the same building and are there many steps to climb?

The train schedules and the timings for the trip to the airport do not allow for delay and the only delay that we fear is unable to board

the connecting train because of overcrowding as it is in July, any advice.
    Thank you again.

looban

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2012 at 11:01:29 #836454

Hi Annika,

As we will be leaving for London soon en route to Switzerland, you early reply and advice would be much appreciated (posted 11 June)
    Also is the Voralpen Express covered by the Swiss Pass and it the train trip worth taking with beautiful scenery ?
    Thank you

looban

Annika
    7124 posts
    18 June 2012 at 11:57:25 #836455

Hi looban! I’m sorry for our late response. We generally answer within a few days, but somehow didn’t notice your last post. As for your questions: the plans you have in mind are indeed doable from Interlaken, Lucerne and Zermatt. I’m not sure if you’ll manage to cover all places you list while you’re in Interlaken, as that’s quite a lot for 3 1/2 days. If weather is good, go for all the outdoor attractions and viewing points; keep indoor attractions such as the Trümmelbach falls, the caves and the glacier gorge at hand as bad weather alternatives.

The Lötschberg Regio Express is a possible connection from Zermatt/Brig to Bern, so yes, you can easily fit this one in. Just enter ‘Kandersteg’ and ‘Goppenstein’ as via-stations in the timetable to obtain information on this route. The Centovalli line can be done from Zermatt, but will require a long day trip. Please consult the timetable and the Centovalli website for more information. The trains don’t require seat reservation, but you have to pay a small extra fee for the Centovalli line. The Voralpen Express is a huge detour in your itinerary, so I would skip it if I were you.

The trains you mention are covered by the Swiss Pass indeed. Please review the downloadable validity map at the Swiss Pass page for an exact overview of the validity area.

You should be able to catch your trains, but personally I would prefer a bit more time with heavy luggage, especially if you need to catch a flight. You can leave earlier in the morning and take earlier trains to create more time in Brig and Bern.

Have a wonderful stay in Switzerland!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2012 at 13:04:38 #836456

That’s OK Anika, and with this we will be able to fine tune our itinerary which we have been planning since six months ago.
    We are looking forward to the much anticipated trip.
    Thanks a lot.

looban

• The thread ‘Switzerland Holidays’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.