Switzerland in Christmas

• kavipra82
    Participant
    18 posts
    30 November 2011 at 13:38:15 #805079

Hi,

Me and my husband are planning a trip to Switzerland this Christmas. We have a round trip to Paris. We are completely confused how to go about planning 4 days in Switzerland from Paris. Since we are unfamiliar and have not yet researched our vacation well – this is what we have planned.

Paris to Geneva – by train ( no idea which train)
    Geneva to Zermatt
    Glacier Express from Zermatt to St Moritz
    We want to see Interlaken but we don’t know how to plan the whole thing.
    Geneva to Paris again

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kajal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    3 December 2011 at 11:01:44 #835405

Hello Kajal, and welcome to the forum. Although it will take a lot of traveling to cover the places you mention within 4 days, it’s doable. You could travel from Geneva to Zermatt on day 1, take the Glacier Express on day 2, travel from St. Moritz to Interlaken on day 3, and get back to Geneva again on day 4 using the Golden Pass line via Zweisimmen and Gstaad. This doesn’t leave much time to explore the towns you’ll be staying in of course. The timetable helps you plan your trips. Just enter your departure and destination station, your preferred travel date and other details for an overview of connections and traveling times.

If you plan to travel by train a lot, it’s wise to consider purchasing a 4 day Swiss Pass. This’ll definitely save you lots of money.

kavipra82
    Participant
    18 posts
    5 December 2011 at 8:47:23 #835406

Thank you so much for your reply. What you said makes sense, that we will not have much time to explore the towns. Do you suggest any two places we can see and yet have time to explore them in 4 days…
    So for example, go from Geneva to Interlaken and stay there for 2 days and then go to Zermatt for a day. Skip Glacier express ?

Annika
    7116 posts
    9 December 2011 at 8:47:51 #835407

Hello Kajal. Yes, that sounds like a better plan to me. It’s very tempting to have it all in only a couple of days, but such a full travel scheme just won’t allow you to really explore any of the regions. You may be happier spending a few days in and around Interlaken, and maybe return for another stay in Switzerland and have your Glacier Express ride then :-).

kavipra82
    Participant
    18 posts
    9 December 2011 at 9:11:04 #835408

Like you said, it is very tempting to cover everything in first visit. Can you advise how many days should I have in hand to cover – Interlaken, Zermatt and Glacier Express and what would be the ideal plan chart be to cover these places from Geneva and return to Geneva. May be I can cut down on Paris to see most of Switzerland.

Annika
    7116 posts
    12 December 2011 at 15:10:56 #835409

Hi Kajal! If you add another day or 2 days, you should manage to see Interlaken, Zermatt and take the Glacier Express. Your plan could look like this:

– day 1: Geneva
    – day 2 and 3: Interlaken
    – day 4: Zermatt
    – day 5: Glacier Express Zermatt-St. Moritz, maybe travel onto Zurich
    – day 6: return to Geneva from St. Moritz or Zurich

If you want to see as much of Switzerland as possible, this may be a good option. But remember that I may be slightly prejudiced, advising Switzerland over Paris :-).

kavipra82
    Participant
    18 posts
    17 January 2012 at 9:50:49 #835410

Hi,

So we could not go to Switzerland during Christmas because of some personal reasons. And hence, we plan to now go in April. Can you please tell us how to go
    Paris to Geneva
    Geneva to Interlaken
    Interlaken to Zermatt
    Zermatt to Geneva.

Since we have no idea about Europe, I would welcome suggestions like places to stay, public transport, any websites where I can get all the details on places to stay and things like that.

Thanks
    `K

Annika
    7116 posts
    18 January 2012 at 13:20:36 #835411

Hello Kajal. Switzerland in April is great as well! As for your questions: the timetable will assist you in planning your trips. Some tips for scenic transfers:

• use the Golden Pass line when getting from Geneva to Interlaken;
    • use the Lötschberg RegioExpress via Spiez and Goppenstein when traveling from Interlaken to Zermatt.

Hotels can be found and booked through this page. The day trip overviews of the Bernese Oberland and Wallis may provide ideas for day trips from Interlaken and Zermatt. I already mentioned the Swiss Pass and other rail passes that can help you save money.

Local tourist websites provide lots of information too.

kavipra82
    Participant
    18 posts
    3 February 2012 at 16:16:00 #835412

Hi Annika,

Since I am still in the initial stages of planning, I have been looking at all my friend’s pictures on social networking places about Switzerland. Where is Ober Trübsee Alp, Obwalden, Switzerland.
    How to go to Jungfraujoch – how much time do I have to see the top of mountain ? Where is Titlis and Alt Toggenburg, Zurich, Switzerland.?

2 Days in Interlaken – what do see?
    Zermatt – anything in particular or just the nature sight seeing ?

Thanks !

Kajal

kavipra82
    Participant
    18 posts
    3 February 2012 at 16:18:14 #835413

So just realized after reading that bernese oberland is to Jungfraujoch

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 February 2012 at 4:40:27 #835414

Hello Kajal. You can best enter your destinations in maps.search.ch, which is a very good online map. The timetable will help you out here as well. Day trips for Interlaken and Zermatt are listed in the overviews of the Bernese Oberland and Wallis I linked to earlier. Highlights are the Jungfraujoch and/or Schilthorn and the Gornergrat. Easy hikes near Interlaken and Zermatt can be made in April too.

kavipra82
    Participant
    18 posts
    19 February 2012 at 22:05:34 #835415

Hi,

How does this plan sound ?-
    On 24th april night – Paris to Geneva – night in Geneva.
    25th April – Early Morning – Geneva to Bern – Bern to Interlaken – see Interlaken
    26th – Interlaken – to Jungfraujoch
    27th – Interlaken to Zermatt and Glacier Express to St Moritz
    28th – St Moritz to Zurich
    29th – flying back

kavipra82
    Participant
    18 posts
    19 February 2012 at 22:24:29 #835416

Disregard the earlier post since I realized there is a train from Geneva to Interlaken

On 24th April – Paris to Geneva
    On 25th – Geneva to Interlaken through Golden Pass – http://traintickets.myswitzerland.com/us/point_to_point/ptp_results.htm?execution=e2s1&resultId=46112107&noLock=1
    25th and 26th – Interlaken
    27th – Interlaken to Zermatt – Lötschberg RegioExpress via Spiez and Goppenstein when traveling from Interlaken to Zermatt. – WHERE DO I BOOK THIS FROM ?
    28th – Zermatt to St Moritz/CHUR – GLACIER EXPRESS – WHICHEVER IS CONVENIENT TO GET US TO ZURICH
    28th – St Moritz/CHUR to Zurich and
    29TH – ZURICH TO USA BACK

kavipra82
    Participant
    18 posts
    20 February 2012 at 9:44:44 #835417

You suggested that we should take the Golden Pass line from Geneva to Interlaken – Three Questions on those

Should we book our seats through this website – http://www.goldenpass.ch/CMS/default.asp?ID=252
    There is no stop in Geneva – should we choose the station – montreux or Gstaad ?
    If Yes – I assume, we have to take a train from Geneva to Montreux or Gstaad ?

kavipra82
    Participant
    18 posts
    20 February 2012 at 9:48:52 #835418

Now that we are finally putting the pieces together and planning to book our trip, a lot of questions are arising and I hope it is ok to ask as many question as we have.

SWISS PASS – Should we buy it in US itself – if so, will they mail it to our house before the trip in April ?
    As per my understanding, SWISS PASS helps in unlimited local travelling – how does the pass help when we take scenic trains like Glacier Express or Golden Pass or Lötschberg RegioExpress – Do we get a discounted price on these scenic trains if we use a Swiss Pass
    Should we book all these train rides well in advance through the website or onsite when we are at the station on that particular day ?
    Where do I book the Lötschberg RegioExpress ? what would be the station stops – Interlaken to Zermatt.

kavipra82
    Participant
    18 posts
    20 February 2012 at 10:26:03 #835419

This website is giving me discounted price on Glacier Express but not on Golden Pass and Lötschberg RegioExpress – Please advise how to get discounted prices for Golden Pass if I buy a Swiss Pass

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/point_to_point/passholderrequest.htm?WT.mc_id=CJ.rail_travel.affiliates

Arno
    15483 posts
    20 February 2012 at 12:27:28 #835420

Hi Kajal and welcome back,

Sure, you’re welcome to ask, that what’s the forum is for! However, I think many of your questions can be answered by these guidelines:

• The timetable shows exactly which train to take, where it stops, where to change trains if necessary, etc. It also shows if you need to book seats for a particular train. 99% of the trains does not need to be booked in advance. You just need a ticket or rail pass.
    • If a train requires seat reservation, please check this page to see how it’s done.
    • Any of our pass pages, including the Swiss Pass page, allows you to download a detailed network map that shows what’s covered in the pass. Any train on the indicated routes, regardless whether it is a local train or a tourist train (Golden Pass, Glacier Express), is covered. Except for the seat reservations in some cases as explained above. Also, the pass pages allow you to fill out your country, pass type and travelers. It then shows all details about buying options, shipping options, etc.

I hope this helps!

kavipra82
    Participant
    18 posts
    21 February 2012 at 10:37:35 #835421

Thank You for the reply. I am almost set on understanding Swiss pass, golden pass and glacier express. I am still a little unclear about Lötschberg RegioExpress.

1. Is Spiez, Lötschbergplatz the same as Lötschberg RegioExpress ? Should I book it from the timetable link you gave me as well ?

kavipra82
    Participant
    18 posts
    21 February 2012 at 11:23:12 #835422

I was going through Jungfraujoch – top of Europe day trip via this website. the http://www.raileurope.ca/activities/jungfraujoch/index.html

Though you gave me the link for SWISS PASS NETWORK MAP, it is confusing. Do you think my SWISS Pass can cover this ? Also do you think we should book this well in advance ?

Annika
    7116 posts
    22 February 2012 at 15:49:16 #835423

Hello kajalprasanth. The ride up to Wengen or Grindelwald is for free with your Swiss Pass. Between Wengen/Grindelwald and the Jungfraujoch, a 25% discount applies. You don’t have to book in advance. Just buy your 25% discounted ticket right before boarding and hop on the train – it’s very easy!

The Lötschberg RegioExpress is the name for the local train between Spiez and Brig, stopping in towns like Kandersteg and Goppenstein. Seat reservations are not required (and not even possible). Spiez Lötschbergplatz is something else, that’s just the name of a location in Spiez. If you want to find train connections with the Lötschberg RegioExpress, you should enter Goppenstein as a via-station in the timetable (if you don’t, the timetable automatically selects the quick tunnel connection between Spiez and Visp).

kavipra82
    Participant
    18 posts
    28 March 2012 at 9:15:03 #835424

Hi,

Do we need to reserve seats in advance for Golden Pass and Glacier Express ? We have a SWISS pass.

Kajal

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The thread ‘Switzerland in Christmas’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.