Switzerland in early December for hiking & scenery

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2017 at 23:28:09 #812383

Hi,

I am planning to visit Switzerland in early December this year with my 2 boys aged 7 & 8.. I like scenary and a bit of hiking. I planned to visit a ski resort too. As weather in December is early winter, I am not sure what are the recommendated places for scenary and I hope someone could help me with the itinenary. I have draft one and I am open to options.

2 night in Lucern

3 nights in Interlaken to explore the Bernese Oberland region

1 night in Grindelwald

2 nights in Zermatt or St.Moritz

1 night in Zurich (flight in and out from Zurich)

Thank you in advance for the advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    25 June 2017 at 11:17:35 #865670

Welcome to MySwissAlps, Babytree!

Early December is kind of an in-between season. Quite likely there won’t be snow at lower elevations yet, so you’ll have to get up in the mountains for typical snow-capped mountain tops and winter scenery. That’s perfectly doable with mountain trips though. Some cable cars will be shut down as it’s low season, but the major ones (like Pilatus, Titlis, Rigi, Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch, Gornergrat) should be accessible.

Most of your itinerary looks fine. I wouldn’t spend 3 nights in Interlaken and 1 in Grindelwald as these are close to one another. Just spend 4 nights in either town. Zermatt or St. Moritz may well have some snow in the villages already. You can follow the links I included to compare and see which appeals to you more. Zermatt would be easier to reach from Interlaken, and it’s a scenic ride if you avoid the long tunnel and take the mountain route via Kandersteg and Goppenstein instead. Details are in the timetable; enter Goppenstein as a via-station for details about the route I just mentioned.

Once your itinerary is more or less completed, it’s time to look into rail passes. How to pick the right one is explained here. The 8 day Swiss Travel Pass might be a good option in your case. The free Swiss Family Card allows your boys to travel along for free on all routes.

• The thread ‘Switzerland in early December for hiking & scenery’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.