Switzerland and scenic train journeys in November

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2016 at 7:18:20 #809897

I will be in Switzerland from 16 to 19th November 2016. Reading Forums, it appears Switzerland tourism is restricted in November. I have a Eurail Global Pass and would like to go on the most scenic train journeys that are operating. The only accommodation I have booked is 16 November at Weggis. This can be changed. I will be coming from Venice. Which places and train journeys would optimise my time in Switzerland for rail journeys and scenery?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    17 August 2016 at 9:46:42 #855175

Hi Brisozzie, welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you’re coming from Venice, it’s worth using the scenic Wilhelm Tell Express-route via Locarno, Göschenen and Fluëlen. With Weggis as your base it’s not that easy to make longer scenic day trips. Since it’s low season you may consider switching your accommodation to Lucerne, which is larger and thus offers more (indoor) alternatives. From Lucerne you could make several scenic day trips, e.g. towards Interlaken using part of the Golden Pass-route or towards Bern through the Emmen valley. Further tips for the Lake Lucerne area are listed here: http://www.myswissalps.com/la kelucerne/activities. Do check accessibility, as quite some cable cars shut down in November for maintenance reasons.

Details on your Eurail Global Pass coverage can be found at http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railglobalpass/validit y.

• The thread ‘Switzerland and scenic train journeys in November’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.