Switzerland-Italy rail pass options

• Mbryant1800
    Participant
    7 posts
    3 December 2018 at 0:08:38 #819087

3 of us are planning a summer trip starting in Zurich for 4 days, then using the Bernina express from Chur to Tirano, from there to Varenna and then Milan. Staying in Italy about 10 days then coming back to Chur taking the Glacier Express to Zermatt and then on to Geneva. Total time in Switzerland about 12 days and in Italy about 9 days. Have used the spreadsheet and still can not decide if a Swiss Pass Flexi vs. an Eurail Switzerland-Italy will be the better and less expensive choice for the overall travel time. Will the trips Milan-Chur be covered? And does the Eurail give you discounts on trams, boats, cable cars, etc.

Thanks You for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2018 at 9:48:11 #899848

Hi Mbryant1800 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You’ll need to know if those trips are covered by the passes before you can use the spreadsheet to do the math and compare.

You can see what routes are covered by those passes on the PDF map and list here:

Once you’ve found what routes are covered fully (or only a percentage) then you can do the math and find which pass will be the least expensive for your trip.

Mbryant1800
    Participant
    7 posts
    3 December 2018 at 17:58:40 #899849

Thank You Lucas,

I had already used the excell spreadsheet to make the estimates but I was still not sure and that is why i posted in the forum. I think at this point the Swiss pass flexi will be the better options for us unless I do some more research and it changes my mind.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2018 at 18:29:12 #899850

No worries.

It sounded like, from your comments, you hadn’t seen the validity maps for the rail passes.

You’ll need to know what routes are covered (ie where you ask about Chur to Milan as well as the discounts offered on cable cars etc) before you can properly do the math comparisons.

Once you’ve got all those details you will know for sure if the Swiss Travel Pass Flex is the cheapest option or not.

Mbryant1800
    Participant
    7 posts
    4 December 2018 at 17:46:15 #899851

Thank You Lucas,

I had already checked the prices for all the connections and put them on the spreadsheet as well. I have one last question: we start on June 20 in Switzerland , then some days in Italy and we end July 4 again in Switzerland. I was going to purchase the Flexi Swiss pass and says to use within a” month” does it mean have to be the same calendar month: all June or all July or just 30 days.

Last: once I have the pass how do i make the reservations for the scenic trains: Bernina and Glacier express and the one going to Junfraujoch.

Thank You again for the information.

Myrna

Mbryant1800
    Participant
    7 posts
    4 December 2018 at 17:50:12 #899852

Sorry I also forgot to ask about the buses, since we are taking a bus from Milan to Chur or from Bellinzona to Chur, are those buses covered with the swiss pass?

Myrna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2018 at 19:11:49 #899853

Hi Myrna,

It is a 30 day validity from your first selected start day so no worries there.

Reservations can be made through companies we note on our the below links:

The PDF map for the Swiss Travel Pass Flex will show you which routes are covered (from the link on my previous post. Yellow are bus routes, red trains, white are boats and black are cable cars).

Mbryant1800
    Participant
    7 posts
    4 December 2018 at 21:33:47 #899854

Thanks again

Myrna

• The thread ‘Switzerland-Italy rail pass options’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.