Switzerland travel agenda, how much to tip, etc.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2017 at 0:52:34 #812427

Agenda.

July 12 Washington, D.C. area departure,

July 13 Arrive Zurich 8am ish. Have 15 day Swiss Rail Pass Stamped (or whatever is required), board rail to Lucerne. If weather looks good, At Lucerne station sign up for July 14 boat/lift/etc. Mt. Pilatus.

2 night Lodging Hotel Pickwick.

July 15 1st Class Express, Lugano, Hotel Acquarello

July 16 bus Tranio/Bernina St.Moritz, Hotel Eden Superior

July 17 Glacier Express to Zermatt, Hotel Sarzena. Hoping weather permits for all viewing

July 20 Rail Meiringen, Hotel Rebstock

July 21 PostBus

July 22-25 days open to do what you may recommend or to do a Mountain journey make up due to weather.

July 25-26 Hotel Stay@Zurich Airport. Appreciate suggestion for day.

July 27 Fly home to share travel stories with Husband,Daughter,Son, Friends and Customers of Ayers Variety/Hardware, Arlington, Va.

I will appreciate learning average price of Rail Station/Markets salad or sandwich. Do these and food marts accept credit cards? I am trying to ascertain approximate CHF I should be prepared to spend other than lodging and rail. I read about tipping not required but am unsure about recommended tipping amount for PostBus Driver and others helpful to this 77 year Grandmom who, because of recent health, is unable to hike or a walk long time.

Thanks for all suggestions/recommendations. Your site and helpful assistance is amazing.

Many Thanks,

Wilma

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    27 June 2017 at 10:32:14 #865866

Hi Wilma,

You will see a lot of Switzerland during your trip! Stamping your pass is quite uncommon nowadays. If you printed your pass at home all traveler info and the start date should be on it, and there’s nothing you need to do with it: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/howtouse. Just board the train and show the pass when requested.

Things to do in the Bernese Oberland (Meiringen) can be found here: myswissalps.com/bernes eoberland/activities. For Zurich, please see myswissalps.com/zurich /activities.

Credit cards are widely accepted for amounts from CHF 20 or so. Some cash is recommended for small amounts (debit card works too) and the few places that only accept cash. A sandwich costs CHF 4 to 8 I guess.

Tips are unusual, even in restaurants. If the food and service was exceptional you can add a small tip, but it is certainly not required. I’ve never tipped a bus driver or see someone else do it. A “thank you”, “Danke schön”, “merci vielmal” (typically Swiss), etc. will do 🙂

• The thread ‘Switzerland travel agenda, how much to tip, etc.’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.