Switzerland trip in June – Suggestions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2014 at 13:36:38 #806354

Hi,

I’m planning to visit Switzerland in June and have planned the following,

2 nights each in Geneva, Interlaken. Luzern and 1 nigh in Zurich from where I’ll catch my Departure flight to Dubai. My tentative plan is as follows;

Day 1) Geneva city tour on my own. Kindly suggest must see places. I’ll be reaching around 4.30pm only, so kindly suggest accordingly.

Day 2) Broc chocolate factory and Gruyeres cheese factory

Day 3) Jungfrajoch via Interlaken Ost from Wengen. Please let me know if my Swiss pass will cover my travel for free upto Wengen. Also let me know from where I can purchase the tickets to jungfrau, online or at the site, which would be better.

Day 4) Sightseeing at Interlaken and surrounding areas. Please suggest.

Day 5) Travel to Luzern. Sightseeing. Please suggest.

Day 6) Luzern to Engenberg to mt. Titlis.

Day 7) Luzern to Zurich and overnight there. Kindly suggest some must see places there.

Day 8) Check out at 1pm and proceed to Zurich Airport. Mayb I could go for more sightseeing before my flight. Please suggest.

Appreciating your reply at the earliest.

Regards,

Sana Ashraf

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 May 2014 at 17:21:05 #839903

Hi sanaash,

Thanks for your post! For to do’s in Geneva, please see our Geneva page. Also you may want to do an evening (dinner) cruise on the lake.

Indeed you will get free traveling until Wengen. If you download the Swiss Pass map you can find see what’s covered. As for the tickets to the Jungfraujoch, please see here.

Further suggestions can be found on our regional and town pages, e.g. Bernese Oberland, Central Switzerland, Zurich, etc. You can do short boat trips in Zurich, so that might be an option for your last day. You may even be able to go to the Rhine Falls, depending on when you should check in at the airport. In that case you can store your luggage at the airport as it isn’t convenient to take it with you.

If you haven’t book your hotels yet: tips can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2014 at 14:08:37 #839904

Thanks a lot Arno..

You links were very informative but I still haven’t finalized my itinerary since I am spoilt for choice..

On the other hand, could you please suggest from where I can take a funicular ride. I just want to experience all modes of transport in Switzerland (Bus, boat, tram, train, cable car and funicular..if there are any other modes, please let me know 🙂 ) ….so as per my current itinerary I will be taking all the others except for the funicular. Please let me know if there is any close ones from Interlaken Ost or Luzern stations, since I’d be living close to these stations. Only the funicular ride would do which would be free with the swiss pass (no need for cable car).

Furthermore, I heard that we can rent bicycles for free in Zurich. Please let me know the stations from where I could rent and also let me know if they have cycles with an extra baby seat… I know this sounds weird, but I’d like to try cycling and I have a 2 year old to accommodate, so I need to know.

Thanks once again..you guys are doing a fantastic job out here.

Best Regards,

Sana Ashraf

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 May 2014 at 6:39:54 #839905

Hi Sana,

There are many modes of transport, depending on how precise you would define each mode. Some examples in addition to the ones you listed:

• Cogwheel train: e.g. Rigi (free with a Swiss Pass), Jungfraujoch and Pilatus (the steepest one).
    • Steam train: e.g. Brienzer Rothorn and the one on the Furka Pass.
    • Open air trains: see this post.
    • Revolving cable car: Titlis.
    • Open air cable car: Stanserhorn.
    • Gondola (small cabines as opposed to one larger one that cable cars have): e.g. Pilatus and First near Grindelwald.
    • Ski lifts (‘Sesselbahn’) with seats in the open air: e.g. Ramslauenen.
    • Post buses are very different from city buses. A trip across a pass is spectacular.
    • Lifts, like the panoramic lift near the Rhine Falls.

There may be more but this is a good start I would say. More then you can cover in 8 days. Be sure to look into the Swiss Peak Pass as that allows you to cover multiple peaks at a very low price.

There’s a funicular at 10 minutes walking from Interlaken Ost: Harder Kulm. A more spectacular one is the Niesen. Funiculars aren’t necessarily free with a Swiss Pass. Most are discounted, not free. See the Swiss Pass map I referred to for details.

Regarding the free bikes: please go to the Zurich page I referred to, and click ‘How to travel’. There’s a link to their site. I don’t know about child seats but you can ask them. There are two locations for free bike lending near the Zurich main station. I’m not sure if you’re used to ride a bike as you said “try” cycling. If not, Zurich may not be the best place to learn as it’s quite busy there.

Well,I hope you can make a choice 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2014 at 9:36:56 #839906

Dear Arno,

Thanks for giving me a detailed info about various modes of public transport.

Well.. I do know how to use the bike.. 🙂 I said try… ‘coz I was not too sure about how to do it with my child.

* Steam trains and open air trains don’t operate in June 🙁 (My travel is from June 2nd to June 9th)

* I’d be taking the cogwheel to Rigi n Jungfraujoch

* I’d be taking the cable car and chair lift en route to Titlis and I wouldn’t want to take the open top one.

* I am looking into the possibility of taking the funicular to the Harder Kulm since it’s very close to interlaken. I believe it’s 50% discounted tickets, please correct me if I am mistaken.

* I can go to the Rhine falls from Zurich yeahh.. via Winterthur (that’s what the SBB site tells me). So once I get off the station at Schloss Laufen am Rheinfal, is it just walking distance to the falls..??

Regards,

Sana Ashraf

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 May 2014 at 9:51:00 #839907

Hi Sana,

Early June is indeed a bit early for some of the mountain transport. Brienzer Rothorn will open on June 7, although prior to that, the trains will operate until the mid station Planalp. The Furka steam train won’t be available in early June.

Harder Kulm is indeed 50% off. You’re correct about the Rhine Falls. See the page I referred to for detailed instruction on how to get there and how to get around. I just thought of the Hammetschwand Lift: much higher (152 m), very spectacular, but no waterfall there.

I’m sure you’ll have a great time! Of course you’re welcome to let everyone know about your experiences in the Trip Reports section. You’ll be an expert once you’ve done all this 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2014 at 11:20:50 #839908

Hi Arno,

The view around the Hammetschwand List is breathtaking indeed..!! How do I get there, I guess It’s closer to Luzern yeahh..??Luzern – Stansstad – Obbürgen, Moos is what I found on the SBB Site. Could you please let me know the ticket rates and also if the route I mentioned above is covered by the Swiss pass. I did see the Map, but since I am not a Switzerland expert yet 😉 , I am not able to locate all the places there..

Regards,

Sana..

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 May 2014 at 11:51:23 #839909

Hi Sana,

The Hammetschwand Lift is not included in the Swiss Pass. The prices are listed on the site I gave you. Click ‘Schedules and Fares’.

Normally, the best way to get there is to take a boat to ‘Kehrsiten-Bürgenstock’ and take the funicular up the Bürgenstock from there. However, both the funicular and the three hotels up there are being renovated and thus closed. But you can take a bus to the stop called ‘Obbürgen, Abzw. Trogen’, which is close to the funicular top station. From there you can walk to the hotel and the lift.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2014 at 12:03:14 #839910

Dear Arno,

I missed the Schedules & Fares ‘coz it was in a different colour. However, I found it now.

Regarding the boat trip, could you be a bit more specific about how I reach there from Luzern. I need the names of the proper stations so that I can check the schedules and plan the trip. I will surely make a visit to the lift. I showed the picture to my family and they are very excited. I got to know from their website that their funicular is closed for now. So please suggest the exact stations to get to the Lifts and back.. 2nd of June is not far away 🙂

Regards,

Sana Ashraf

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 May 2014 at 12:29:56 #839911

Hi Sana,

You just need to fill out the bus stop name in the timetable and all details will be presented to you (click the plus icon in front of the preferred connection). In summary: it’s a train to Stansstad and then switch to a bus. In total it’s less than 40 minutes, excluding the short walk from the bus stop up the hill.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2014 at 12:47:24 #839912

Thanks Arno.. Got it..!!

• The thread ‘Switzerland trip in June – Suggestions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.