Switzerland trip in mid October-weather & scenery?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 10:29:47 #812119

hi

I am planning a family trip to Switzerland from 14-21 Oct. how is weather and scenery because it’s the start of autumn season? Also will Jungfrau, Mt.Titlis be open?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 15:22:41 #864467

Hi Rohan1sharma and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Weather will start getting cold and can be rainy in the October – the mountains will be getting quite cold as well (often chilly year-round). You can read more about the climate in Switzerland here.

Jungfraujoch is open year-round, as is Mt. Titlis but there are scheduled closures for maintenance on Mt. Titlis. You can see that on their website here.

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 June 2017 at 23:16:23 #864468

Hi Rohan1sharma-

I think that Lucas was being optimistic.

In the high Alps, late October is not the beginning of the Autumn season. It is the very end of the Summer season.

It gets cold up there, but there is not enough snow for good skiing…so, few visitors.

There is little or no Autumn season….many hotels and restaurants, but not all, take break for this “low season” before they start up again in early-mid December for the Winter season.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 9:09:56 #864469

I’m always optimistic! 🙂

But yes, it is not a popular time of year to go up into the mountains between about October 15 and early December. Which is fine to me (less busy) but be careful as Slowpoke says, businesses will start shutting down in mid-October for 6 to 8 weeks. Titlis and Jungfraujoch are operating though – depends on what else you have in mind.

I went to Davos 2 years ago about October 10 and had a great time….but 2 weeks later might have been a different story.

• The thread ‘Switzerland trip in mid October-weather & scenery?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.