Switzerland Trip Planning for a family of 4 with 2

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2012 at 9:14:56 #805197

We are planning a trip to switzerland in July with 2 teenage kids.

We will be taking a train from Florence Italy. Which is the best place which is closest to Florence without too much of a long train ride and a must see where we can book hotel and stay for a night and look around?

Also after this we would like to see Bern, Interlaken and our final destination is Zurich from where we fly back. What are the must see places and the best mode of transportation? Also if you can elaborate on the swiss passes it would be great?

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 March 2012 at 6:48:30 #835883

Hello Kellie! You should opt for a town close to the southern border of Switzerland for your first overnight stay. This will result in the shortest train trip from Florence. You may want to consider Lugano, which has a wonderful mediterranean atmosphere.

You can plan your trips using the timetable (international trips, such as Florence-Lugano, can be found here too). These pages will also help you to compose your itinerary:

• Information on sightseeing and hotels in Bern can be found at the Bern hotel page;
    • Information on sightseeing and hotels in Interlaken can be found at the Interlaken hotel page and the Bernese Oberland day trip overview;
    • Information on Zurich can be found at the Zurich hotel page and by browsing this forum (just use the search box in the upper right corner).

As for rail passes: which one is best depends on your exact travel schedule. You can only know for sure by doing some detailed calculations. If you like the idea of free traveling, without having to buy separate tickets for each trip, you may want to consider a Swiss Saver Pass. The Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, using free travel days for your longest and most expensive transfers, could be an alternative. These general guidelines provide some tips on how to choose a rail pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2012 at 10:48:01 #835884

Hi !
    Since we travel in July can we use the 2 for 1 swiss flexi saver pass ?

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 May 2012 at 14:19:57 #835885

Hi Kellie,

That promotion is for traveling in Spring or Fall only. Please find the full details here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2012 at 14:21:24 #835886

what is my best option then. i have 2 children who are below 16 ?

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    2 May 2012 at 1:57:00 #835887

Hello Kellie,

That’s not an easy question to answer, because it all depends on what you like to do. Hiking, travelling, see as much as you can, etc. I suggest you take a look at this overview of possibilities.
    The FAQ can be of help too.

Good luck planning your vacation!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2012 at 23:14:19 #835888

Which is the best pass where I can get the kis free pass? We will be in Switzerland only for 4 days.

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 May 2012 at 1:37:07 #835889

Hi Kellie,

I would recommend the 4-day Swiss Saver Pass for 2 adults. The kids will travel along for free. Please review the details here, and order here (if you’re from the US, or otherwise you can find the best reseller on the Swiss Pass page I linked to).

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘Switzerland Trip Planning for a family of 4 with 2’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.