Switzerland/Italy Itinerary – Help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2013 at 6:02:46 #806116

Need some assistance in nailing down a train itinerary (best options) for a group of 7 (4 adults, 3 kids-19,16,10).

Day 1 Zurich To Murren
    Day 3 Murren to Venice
    Day 6 Venice to Rome

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    3 July 2013 at 8:12:29 #839079

Hi captiveman. All train connections, including those to Venice, can be found in the Swiss timetable. That’s the best way to all trips to, in and from Switzerland. I suggest that you buy Swiss Cards for the adults and the 19 and 16 years old. This will provide a free trip from Zurich to Mürren and from Mürren to the Swiss-Italian border (Domodossola). All journeys in between will be discounted by 50%. The 10 year old can travel along for free if you get the free Swiss Family Card.

I don’t know what your main interests are, but here are hiking tips and day trips to be made from Mürren.

Does that get you started?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2013 at 19:38:39 #839080

yes, thank you. I have ordered the swiss cards. How do I make train reservations with those? Do I have to do it in person or can I do it online?

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 July 2013 at 9:59:15 #839081

Hello Mark,

You don’t need reservations for Switzerland, but you do need them for your trips to and in Italy. You can best order them online, as (the desired) seats may run out as your travel date gets nearer. Since you live in the USA, you can book seats here. More information about seat reservations can be found here.

If you don’t have tickets for Italy yet, then don’t book just reservations. In that case you’d better book tickets + reservations combined. You can arrange for that from the same website here. Your Swiss Card covers the leg Mürren to Domodossola, so you only need tickets for Domodossola to Venice (if the system can’t find those tickets, try Brig instead, which is one stop earlier).

• The thread ‘Switzerland/Italy Itinerary – Help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.