Tell Pass between Zurich and Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2017 at 6:23:27 #812616

Hi

I just got to know about Tell Pass Summer.

Can I ask if I am able to use this pass from Zurich to Lucerne and back to Zurich. I am thinking of going to Mount Titlis from Zurich. From the website, Tell Pass covers Mount Titlis cable car ride. What about the train ride from Lucerne to Engelberg and back to Lucerne?

Is it worthwhile using this pass as compared to taking a day tour from one of the tour operators? Is it doable to do Mount Titlis from Zurich?

Besides Mount Titlis, a friend has recommended Mount Rigi. Can I use this Pass to go Mount Rigi from Lucerne.

Your kind advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2017 at 6:56:58 #866814

Hi supeng, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> I just got to know about Tell Pass Summer. Can I ask if I am able to use this pass from Zurich to Lucerne and back to Zurich.

Coming from Zürich, the Tell-Pass is valid from Baar (if your train stops there) or else Zug, so you need a separate ticket from Zürich to Baar or Zug.

You can download a map showing where the Tell-Pass is valid:

http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpass/validity

>> I am thinking of going to Mount Titlis from Zurich. From the website, Tell Pass covers Mount Titlis cable car ride.

Yes, free with the Tell-Pass, but you will need to present your Tell-Pass at the Titlis valley station ticket window to get a free bar-coded ticket for the gondola barrier gates.

>> What about the train ride from Lucerne to Engelberg and back to Lucerne?

Yes, free with the Tell-Pass.

>> Is it worthwhile using this pass as compared to taking a day tour from one of the tour operators?

In my opinion, definitely yes, if you make the best use of it. It is available for a minimum period of 2 consecutive days.

>> Is it doable to do Mount Titlis from Zurich?

Yes, it will take about 2.5 hours to get to the top of Titlis from Zürich. It would be much better to stay in Luzern so you can make the best use of the Tell-Pass by visiting other attractions without losing the travel time between Zürich and Luzern every day.

>> Besides Mount Titlis, a friend has recommended Mount Rigi. Can I use this Pass to go Mount Rigi from Lucerne.

Yes.

There is a lot to do in Luzern. Reading this page in conjunction with information about the Tell-Pass will help you discover more:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpass

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2017 at 3:06:11 #866815

Hi Alpenrose

Thanks for the advice.

I understand that I need to get a separate ticket from Zurich to Baar or Zug and then I can start using the Tell Pass. Can I confirm that Zurich to Baar or Zug is the only train ticket I need? Other than this, I can use the pass to take train from Baar or Zug to Lucerne and explore the area and go up Mount Pilatus or Mount Rigi or Mount Titlis for free?

Also, is it possible to purchase the pass at Zurich International Airport or anywhere in Zurich City?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2017 at 5:30:28 #866816

>> Can I confirm that Zurich to Baar or Zug is the only train ticket I need?

Yes, and one for the return journey from Baar or Zug to Zürich as well. The validity map I linked to earlier shows all the places that are included, and you will get a brochure containing that map when you buy your Tell-Pass.

>> Also, is it possible to purchase the pass at Zurich International Airport or anywhere in Zurich City?

Yes, you can purchase it at the railway station at Zürich Airport, or at these other sales outlets:

http://www.tellpass.ch/en/sum mer/services/sales_out lets/

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2017 at 7:08:16 #866817

Hi

Is it compulsory to book train ticket from Zug to Lucerne or Engelberg? How do I make use of the pass to book train ticket? Would it be possible that even with the pass, I might not be able to get a train ticket for a particular timing? What can I do then? I will be going in August and noted that it is a peak season.

At the mountains, do I just show the pass at the ticketing counter or exchange to a valid ticket?

Am I able to take the Golden Round Trip at Mount Pilatus using the pass?

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 July 2017 at 13:11:50 #866818

Hi Supeng,

The pass eliminates the need for tickets. Just board any train you like, and show your pass when requested. Indeed you will need to show your pass at the ticket counters of cableway stations. You’ll find this explained in the “How to use” section of the Tell-Pass page Alpenrose gave you.

Yes, the Golden Round Trip is free with the Tell-Pass, and with the Swiss Travel Pass too (in 2017 anyway).

• The thread ‘Tell Pass between Zurich and Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.