Tell Pass or Swiss Travel Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2015 at 7:58:06 #807020

Hello! My husband and I are planning for our honeymoon trip, and below is our plan.I have been reading up on which rail pass to purchase, but am getting confused and worried.

Please may you tell me if a 5days Tell Pass covers our journey for 29th Apr, and 2nd & 3rd May? Or should I be getting a 4days Swiss Travel Pass instead?

29 Apr: Reach Zurich Airport, Proceed to Lucerne

30 Apr: Luncerne to Engelberg (visit Mt Titlis)

1 May: Lucerne to Interlaken

2 May: Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald to visit the Jungfraujoch

3 May: Interlaken to Bern

4 May: Bern to Paris (TGV Lyria)

Thank you very much for your kind help and advise!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    26 March 2015 at 16:12:00 #842166

Hi natalielim,

Congratulations on your marriage! No need to get worried, I’m sure we can find a pass that suits your needs.

The Tell-Pass only covers the Lake Lucerne region (see the map). I would recommend to look into the 4-day Swiss Travel Pass (for April 30 to May 3) or the Swiss Half Fare Card. On top of that you need a ticket to Paris, which should be booked well in advance in order to get the best price. A ticket for Zurich Airport to Lucerne for April 29 can be purchased locally, or online if you prefer. Mind the pass prices on the linked pages: buying online is usually the cheapest option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2015 at 8:46:32 #842167

Thank you so much for your help!

On the 29th Apr, we plan to travel from Zurich to Lucerne, and if possible, take a boat trip on Lake Lucerne.

On 3rd May, the plan is to take the train from Interlaken to Bern, then spend the day walking about the Old Town, visit the Clock Tower and Child Eating Fountain, Rosengarten and the Bear Park.

As such, do you think we should start the 4days pass from 29th April to 2nd May, then get a point to point ticket to travel from Interlaken to Bern?

Should I buy the point to point on Rail Europe online, or get it at the Interlaken station? Likewise for the tickets to Titlis, should I purchase the ticket online (for the travel not covered by the Swiss Pass)?

Many thanks for your kind help!

Annika
    7116 posts
    1 April 2015 at 14:42:03 #842168

Hi natalielim,

Yes, in that case start using the pass on April 29 and use it to May 2. That way you can use it for the boat trip on April 29 too. A ticket Interlaken – Bern costs CHF 28. You can buy it locally or online. Within Bern you can walk as distances are small.

The ticket from Bern to Paris should be purchased online as soon as possible, as it requires seat reservations and booking earlier is cheaper. From Singapore, you can buy it through raileurope.com.sg/trai n/tgv-lyria. They sell the Swiss Travel Pass too: raileurope.com.sg/swis s-pass. Mind the discounts you can get!

Titlis cable car tickets can be purchased on the spot. If you prefer to do so online, please see here.

• The thread ‘Tell Pass or Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.