Tell Pass Summer & Gotthard Express 2022

• TravelElla
    Participant
    73 posts
    14 November 2021 at 10:47:21 #826280

Hello MySwissAlps Forum members

We will visit Switzerland during late August – mid September 2022. I have done a lot of research regarding the different passes in Switzerland and it seems that the 4 day Tell Pass will be a much more cost worthy pass for our 4 full days in Lucerne area compared to the STP.

Our mountain excursions will be: Mt Rigi, Mt Titlis, Mt Pilatus and Bürgenstock.

All Cable Cars, Cogwheel trains, Funicular & Lift (at Bürgenstock) are “free” and included in the Tell Pass, while there are still extra fees payable with the STP for Mt Titlis, Mt Pilatus & Bürgenstock. I took the 25% discount on the STP in mind, but the Tell Pass still looks as a better option for this Lucerne area. Our accommodation for the 5 nights will be in Weggis and therefore the boats on Lake Lucerne, trains, busses in the area are part of the validity area of the Tell Pass.

Questions:

1. Am I correct with this decision to go for the Tell Pass?

2. Can this Tell Pass be bought on-line during 2022 or can we buy it with arrival in Zürich or Lucerne?

We want to do the Gotthard Express as well. With the Tell Pass, the boat from Lucerne – Flüelen & the train from Flüelen – Göschenen is included in the Tell Pass. I know about the seat reservation (@ CHF 34), upgrade from 2nd class to 1st class train (@ CHF 29.50 ) and additional surcharge that are extra fees (@ CHF 16) – these are prices for 2021 – for the Gotthard Express. The Tell Pass validity map shows that train travel can be done up to Andermatt. So if we want to do the whole stretch of the Gotthard Express from Flüelen – Lugano, we have to buy extra train tickets for the Göschenen – Lugano stretch.

Questions:

1. Is this last part of train travel a scenery stretch as well?

2. If we book tickets on the Gotthard Express from Göschenen – Lugano, will that mean that we have to pay a second time the extra costs as mentioned above? Will this be seen then as two separate train journeys?

3. Can we buy point to point tickets on a Regular train directly from Flüelen – Lugano (to skip the high reservation fees etc)?

4. Gotthard Express arrives Lugano at 16h45. If we have a quick dinner in Lugano, we can take a Regular train (at 19h00) back from Lugano – Küssnacht am Rigi and then Bus to Weggis. This will be then a very long day. Is something like this do-able?

5. Or will it be best only to travel up to Göschenen or Andermatt and then back to Weggis?

6. Just for extra info: we will be in Locarno for 2 days at the end of our Switzerland trip, so we will visit Bellinzano during that time. We hope to travel with Bernina Express from Chur – Tirano – Lugano (and then onward to Locarno) so we will see that part of the country on a later stage.

7. Any other ideas how to combine the above for a day excursion will be much appreciated (as long as we stay in the validity area of the Tell Pass).

Regards

TravelElla

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    14 November 2021 at 15:36:04 #937490

Hi TravelElla,

If you indeed focus on the Lake Lucerne region, the Tell Pass can be a good option. The advantage of the Swiss Travel Pass is that you can visit other parts of the country too, e.g. in case weather in the Lake Lucerne area isn’t favorable. If you want to make sure which option is most economical, you’d best make calculations as explained at http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass. Purchase options for the Tell Pass are listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/tellpass/price.

As for the Gotthard Panorama Express: the stretch Göschenen-Lugano is certainly scenic. It’s described at http://www.myswissalps.com/gotthardpanoramaexpress/gettingthere. Lugano is worth a visit too: https://www.myswissalps.com/lugano .

There are several travel options:

If you’re fine with a long travel day, then of course that’s no problem. Alternatively, you can choose to have dinner on board the train on your way back: http://www.myswissalps.com/activities/culinary/dineonthemove.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2021 at 1:28:46 #937491

3. Gotthard Panorama Express / Can we buy point to point tickets on a Regular train directly from Flüelen – Lugano (to skip the high reservation fees etc)?

My personal opinion on the Gotthard Panorama Express is that, whilst it might be a good ‘fit’ for organised tour parties, it is not worth the bother for independent travellers choosing their own itinerary, for the following reasons:

The regular ‘regional’ service, which for a few years was only available on fairly spartan glorified commuter trains is now operated by the SOB company using its bang up to date ‘Traverso’ electric trains under the ‘Treno Gottardo’ banner. The regional service is frequent and a ‘walk on’ service. (see attached pictures of Treno Gottardo trains I took last month)

The old Gotthard mountain route has rather lost its ‘romance’ since all the main international passenger and hug freight trains were diverted through the base tunnel. The ‘romance effect‘ of travelling on the old route was in part due to the fact that your train would interact with other trains on the line so that you might see a train way above you then a few minutes late it would pass by and then be below you, this doesn’t happen now with so few trains on the line

Although there are two or three sets of spirals, the line is in valleys (nowadays shared with the concrete motorway) so you don’t see high mountain peaks.

We will visit Switzerland during late August – mid September 2022. I have done a lot of research regarding the different passes in Switzerland and it seems that the 4 day Tell Pass will be a much more cost worthy pass for our 4 full days in Lucerne area compared to the STP.

Am I correct with this decision to go for the Tell Pass?

Tell Pass is very good if you are only travelling around the immediate Lake Luzern area (but you also want to travel elsewhere which means you should get the STP to cover all your trip.

4. Gotthard Express arrives Lugano at 16h45. If we have a quick dinner in Lugano, we can take a Regular train (at 19h00) back from Lugano – Küssnacht am Rigi and then Bus to Weggis. This will be then a very long day. Is something like this do-able?

If you are visiting Lugano later in the trip I wouldn’t go there twice over. Your Tell Pass gives you the option to do lots more interesting routes, eg:

Luzern – Goeschenen – Andermatt – Oberalppass

Luzern – Pfaffikon SZ (Voralpen Express)

Luzern – Interlaken (Brunig Pass and Brienzersee)

Luzern – Langnau (Emmental valley railway – of cheese fame)

TravelElla
    Participant
    73 posts
    15 November 2021 at 12:06:09 #937492

Hello Annika

Thank you for your time to reply to my questions and all the different links provided.

I will have a look and make my final decision how to benefit best for the day.

Regards

TravelElla

TravelElla
    Participant
    73 posts
    15 November 2021 at 12:36:28 #937493

Hello 1960man

Thanks a million for your firsthand feedback with my questions.

This is why I love this forum, because of the well-travelled insider tips of people like you 🙂

The detailed info regarding the Gotthard Express route and trains that nowadays also use the same trainline, are really interesting.

I like your advise with the other train lines, especially Luzern – Goeshenen – Andermatt – Oberalppass & Luzern – Langnau.

We will use the Voralpen Express route when we travel from Gais – St Gallen – Luzern (after our stay in Appenzell to visit Ebenalp) and we will also travel on the Golden Pass from Luzern – Interlaken after our 4 days in Lucerne area.

Regarding the different travel passes, I am still doing a lot of research. Currently I am also interested in the 8 day Bernese Oberland Region Pass for our 7 days in the Jungfrau area because all the cable cars are included in this pass – we only have to pay 50% for Schilthorn and there is a fixed price for Jungfraujoch (still have to decide if we want to go to the top op Europe or maybe only enjoy the 3 massives’ scenery and sky-line from Mürren.

I also think that in our case (due to the fact that we are going to explore different regions in full) maybe the Swiss Half fare Card + point to point tickets will be a good option only to get from one town to another for our accommodation, otherwise only point to point tickets with Saver Day Pass tickets or Super Saver tickets for those travel days. We will be able to use the 8 day Bernese Oberland pass from Interlaken – Saanen and then only buy a ticket from Saanen – Montreux and then from Montreux – Zermatt.

From Zermatt – Chur we will do the Glacier Express & from Chur – Tirano – Lugano the Bernina express using Saver Day Passes instead of STP.

I will appreciate your input on these matters as well.

Thanks a million.

TravelElla

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 November 2021 at 13:03:52 #937494

Hi TravelElla,

The Regional Pass Berner Oberland would definitely be a good option if you plan to stay in the Jungfrau area for more than a few days to explore the region. It’s certainly more convenient as most of the top destinations in the region is fully covered by the pass so you don’t have to worry about getting additional tickets. And if you don’t plan to travel much in other region, perhaps just getting the Saver Day Pass and Supersaver tickets may be cheaper to travel from one town to another.

Regards,

Anna

TravelElla
    Participant
    73 posts
    15 November 2021 at 16:31:32 #937495

Hello Anna

Thank you so much for your confirmation with my idea to use the Regional Pass Berner Oberland for the duration of our stay in Interlaken/Jungfrau/Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen area.

I am glad to hear that I am on the right way with my research 🙂

1. Lucerne (5 nights) – Accommodation is in Weggis: Explore Lucerne Region – 4 days Tell Pass Summer (all our transport, sightseeings, mountain excursions + cable cars/cogwheel trains are included in this pass)

2. Interlaken (7 nights) – Accommodation is in Wilderswil: Explore Interlaken/Jungfrau Region – 8 days Regional Pass Berner Oberland (all our transport, sightseeings, mountain excursions + cable cars/cogwheel trains are included in this pass except for Mürren – Schilthorn 50%). We will decide on Jungfraujoch as soon as 2022 price is fixed.

I will be able to buy the Saver Day Pass and/or SuperSaver Tickets quite in advance, because our accommodations are booked in the different places and our travel plans for these routes (already previously mentioned) will then be fixed.

I really appreciate all the info that one gets on MySwissAlps Forum!!

Regards

TravelElla

• The thread ‘Tell Pass Summer & Gotthard Express 2022’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.