Tell Pass – Summer pass – CHF 100 or 170?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2016 at 20:55:46 #808500

hi all

i was wondering if it made sense to get the tell pass, since i am going to start my journey into switzerland on the Wilhelm Tell to lucerne from lugano.

and then i stay there for 2 nights before i proceed to interlaken…

also when i open the swiss railway page for prices it says 100 chf for 2 days…but when i go to order its actually 170. can someone pls help me on this. thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 February 2016 at 7:40:50 #848795

Hi sachdeveuro,

The Tell-Pass seems to make sense for you, but it depends on what you plan to do while in Lucerne. Please see here for what’s included.

The price is correct, please see here. What happens if you go to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en/products/ regionalcentralswisspa ss is that they initially show the price of the winter pass, because it’s February now. But if you want to order a pass for the summer it’s CHF 170. Although it’s basically the same pass, more attractions are available in summer, hence the higher price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2016 at 10:05:27 #848796

yes arno..

i figured the price difference…between the summer and winter prices…

i did use the excel sheet..and as per that it still makes more sense and has more flexibility to use the 8 day swiss vis a vis the 2 day tell plus 4 day swiss… i thought the second option would be c heaper…but not really…

i cant seem to find train schedule for the wilhelm tell…everytime i type lugano to lucerne..it gives me euro cities trains ..

could uplease help me with the reservation procedure

…also i want to buy the swiss pass, if there anyway to get the discount. i am also looking at getting a train from como to lugano.

thanks arno and slow poke …!! my hero’s!! wink wink ; )

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 February 2016 at 11:30:20 #848797

Hi sachdeveuro,

All about the Wilhelm Tell Express, including links to schedules, can be found on myswissalps.com/ wilhelmtellexpress. It’s also in the general timetable, but you can’t simply enter “Lugano to Lucerne” because the timetable defaults to the quickest options to get there, which is just by train and partly a different route. So you have to search for the train section and boat section separately. Anyway, from Lugano, you need to take the 11:27 train, change in Bellinzona to the “official” Wilhelm Tell Express and change in Flüelen to the boat. You’ll arrive in Lucerne at 16:47. There’s an additional connection at 9:27, arriving 14:47.

But actually you’re not limited to these connections. You can take any train and boat, and none of the trains and boats requires a reservation. Booking in advance is only required if you want the “special tour package” with seat reservations in the 1st class panoramic coach and lunch included. It’s all explained on this page. Without the package, all you need is your 1st or 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass.

Please see here for where to buy the Swiss Travel Pass, and here for promotions. We update these pages frequently. Currently the best option is to go to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en and print your pass at home. To do so, select “Online Ticket” when asked for delivery options.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2016 at 21:26:15 #848798

so any train and boat from lugano change bellinzona to boat to lucern is the wilhelm tell?? and can be used without reservation , so the extra we pay is only for sp tour package??

i thought it was a different train like the glacier express…now am super confused again

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 February 2016 at 21:45:42 #848799

It’s a route with lots of trains/boats per day, and the option to purchase a package to have a more luxurious experience. The first link in my previous post explains it all.

• The thread ‘Tell Pass – Summer pass – CHF 100 or 170?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.