The Bernese Oberland on a budget

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2011 at 16:20:33 #804467

We have American friends visiting us in Wengen in early August and because of the strength of the Swiss franc against the US dollar, I am wondering if you might have any suggestions for activities that will not break their budget. They will have a rail pass so that will help a lot.

Thanks so much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    9 July 2011 at 0:26:04 #833431

Hi Carol,

Your post is a bit confusing.

Do you live in Wengen?

What rail pass do your friends have?

What do your friends like to do?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2011 at 9:21:10 #833432

We rent a chalet in Wengen every summer for a month. The friends will have a Eurail Pass since they are planning on traveling elsewhere in Europe. They are not very athletic – best hike for them will be up to Murren and the Mannlichen/KS hike. That is about all they will be up to. Otherwise, I think they will be open to anything. Museums in Bern? Probably. Their pass will also get them on the lake boats for free.

I was just wondering if there we other good ideas out there that would not break their pocketbooks.

Thanks,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2011 at 11:16:56 #833433

Hi Carol, we are not a bit athletic but have done the Mannlichen/KS hike so your friends will probably enjoy that. If they want to do a cruise on Lake Thun there is a very easy lakeside walk between Spiez and Faulensee they could do as part of the day out. With their pass they could do the return trip to Lucerne for free and do the city walk (brochure available at tourist office there) or if they like museums the glacier museum is an unusual alternative to history and may be discounted with pass – the transport museum in Lucerne may be discounted as it is with swiss Pass. A trip up Rigi is discounted I believe and Lake Lucerne is probably covered by pass. Bern is a lovely old city to explore with quaint shopping streets and fountains, churches etc. A discounted trip to Schynigge Platte offers spectacular views and the Alpine Garden to wander round. The walk from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg is flat and easy with Trummelbach Falls on the way. A walk through the Aareschlucht is also easy and another different experience. Though we often wish we had “discovered” Switzerland when we were still young and fit enough to do the more energetic hiking, we still manage to enjoy our visits doing easier walks and using gondolas etc to reach the heights! I hope you and your friends have a lovely time together. Maggie

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    9 July 2011 at 12:33:40 #833434

The Ballenberg Open Air museum is a very special place. http://www.ballenberg.ch/en/welcome

There is also a lovely walk that parallels the river – very easy. Following is a clip from my trip notes on Wengen area, sorry in advance for the strange formatting and lack of spaces between some words (cut and paste to this site results in that, hopefully one of the nice moderators can fix it!):

Lauterbrunnen to Wilderswil. This is a lovely walk that parallels the river from Lauterbrunnen to Wilderswil and also covers some beautiful forested areas. This path is in two stages, both approximately 3 miles in length and on flat terrain. The first stage, Lauterbrunnen to Zweilütschinen,starts right at the Lauterbrunnen train station. Follow the signs to the Parking Garage and WCs east of the station and you’ll come upon the trail signs direction Zweilütschinen and Wilderswil. At the very beginning, there is a short descent over a path that can be a bit muddy and a wee bit steep but quickly puts you out onto a very wide, well-maintained Wanderweg. This stage ofthe trail follows directly along the river through a lovely forest; you willalso see a fish ladder about half way on.

Once you reach Zweilütschinen you can catch the train back to Wengen or press on for the second stage: Zweilütschinen to Wilderswil.(Alternatively, of course, you can take the train from Lauterbrunnen to Zweilütschinen and pick up the trail here.) The local train companies have done visitors yet another favor by constructing a lovely “Nature und Bahn” (loosely translated:“Nature and Railway”) path on this stretch. Cross the train tracks at the northend of the Zweilütschinen station and look for the signs direction Wilderswil and Nature und Bahn trail. This stage is also about 3 miles (flat) and passes through more forested area and the charming village of Gsteigwiler. Admire the beautiful woodwork on the homes and the lovely gardens in town, then continue on the Nature und Bahn trail (Note: there are a number of other paths that also lead to Wilderswil, but the Nature und Bahn trail is the most easily navigated. It is well marked, just look for the special signs.). At the end of the walk, you will cross over the river viaa covered bridge and enter the town of Wilderswil. There are many good restaurant choices in this area if you’re ready for lunch. You can catch the train at Wilderswil back to Wengen.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 July 2011 at 12:49:36 #833435

Hi Kim,

I fixed the formatting. Can you send me your document in a private message or e-mail it? Perhaps I can find a work around. Thanks!

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    9 July 2011 at 14:26:08 #833436

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your help!

I just sent an email with the doc attached.

Kim

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2011 at 18:55:23 #833437

Thanks to all of you….this is helpful. I have been to Ballenberg and thought of sending them there as well. I also thought of putting them on the boat and doing the hike from Giessbach to Iseltwald and then catching the boat back to Interlaken.

Again, thanks so much.

• The thread ‘The Bernese Oberland on a budget’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.