The best options for going up the Jungfraujoch…

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2015 at 1:50:29 #806877

Hi there,

My husband and I are visiting Switzerland in May this year and we would love to go up the Jungfraujoch. We both have Eurail Global passes.

We were thinking of staying in Grindelwald for a couple of days and doing the trip on one of those days. We have a few questions:

How do we book to go up the jungfraujoch from grindelwald? and what is the cheapest ticket option from grindelwald?

Would we be missing out on the some of best scenery if we only go on the trip from grindelwald instead of from interlaken?

Would it be best to book now for the trip or to wait and see which day would be the best for us to do the trip on, based on the weather?

Thanks so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 February 2015 at 7:01:00 #841731

Hi Debbie15,

There are cheaper Good Morning/Good Afternoon tickets (see here), but then you’re tied to specific times. Their price is about the same as what you would pay for discounted tickets you will get with your Eurail Pass (25% off). So you might as well use your Eurail discount, so that you can take any train you want. You don’t need to book in advance.

If you are not going to see the Wengen/Lauterbrunnen area during the rest of your stay, I would recommend to do the round trip instead of just going up and down from Grindelwald. You don’t need to go to Interlaken for that. Your route would be Grindelwald – Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch – Kleine Scheidegg – Lauterbrunnen – Zweilütschinen – Grindelwald. A map can be found on the Jungfraujoch page.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2015 at 4:06:06 #841732

Thank you so much for your helpful reply! 🙂

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    6 March 2015 at 22:43:35 #841733

Hello Debbie15

I’ve been in the Berner Oberland region many times. If you consider the round trip to visit Jungfraujoch, I would suggest the following order: Grindelwald – Zweilütschinen – Lauterbrunnen – Wengen – Kleine Scheidegg- Jungfraujoch – Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelwald.

The main reason for my suggestion is the breathtaking way Jungfrau, Mönch and Eiger come into view during the train ride on the Wengernalpbahn between Wengen and Kleine Scheidegg. But to be honest: you need good weather to enjoy these views in the best possible way.

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘The best options for going up the Jungfraujoch…’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.