The best prepaid data SIM card for Switzerland

• Arno
    15471 posts
    24 August 2015 at 10:17:22 #807814

Dear travelers,

If you’re like us you always want to be online, also while on holidays. We recently added a page about SIM cards for Switzerland. They allow you to get online on your smart phone or tablet without spending too much.

Please see myswissalps.com/ simcard for more information.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2015 at 14:56:26 #845656

Hi! I would like to know how long does it normally take if the card is shipped to Hong Kong. Thanks.

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 August 2015 at 15:19:04 #845657

Hi Yenii,

I would estimate that an order though http://www.simlystore.com/en/ buy-prepaid-sim-card/switzerland-prepaid-data-sim-card.html takes 6 to 10 days to Hong Kong. If that’s too long you can also have it shipped to your hotel in Switzerland, that only takes 2 to 3 days. Make sure the hotels knows that they can expect a parcel for you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2015 at 11:38:24 #845658

Hi Arno! Just checking if the prepaid data can be used in Italy as well? In the link you’ve shared earlier, it states also works in other countries In Europe. Just to confirm! Thanks!

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 August 2015 at 12:51:12 #845659

Hi Ellentan,

The card for Switzerland does not work in Italy, but there’s also a data SIM card for Europe. It works in both Switzerland and Italy, and also Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Ireland, Norway, Sweden and the United Kingdom, so that’s the one for you. Please see http://www.simlystore.com/en/ buy-prepaid-sim-card/europe-prepaid-data-sim-card-10-gb.html.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2015 at 15:16:13 #845660

Thanks Arno! Appreciate your response.Is 1 GB sufficient for 15 days in Switzerland and Italy for navigating uses? We will be departing in 13 days later and would like to know how long it takes to reach us. If can’t reach us in time, is there any other option? Is it OK for the hotel to have the parcel shipped to them for me?The hotel we will be staying is IBIS luzern budget city.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2015 at 16:25:43 #845661

Thank you Arno for the SIM Card info. Before ordering, we would like to research SIM Cards that also include phone calls. Do you have any recommendations?

Cheers, Deb

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 August 2015 at 16:46:10 #845662

Hi Ellentan,

1 GB is a whole lot. I only used 35% of that in 18 days of traveling. I did not use navigation apps all day. I used the Sygic app for extended periods of navigation because it supports offline maps and also works when there’s no internet connection. For short walks I used Google Maps. This one does need an internet connection. If you would run out of data anyway you can recharge the card online (see myswissalps.com/ simcard).

I would estimate shipping to Malaysia to take 9 to 10 days. Sure, you can also have it shipped to your hotel in Switzerland. That only takes 2 to 3 days. Contact your hotel after you ordered, so that they know a parcel will arrive.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 August 2015 at 16:57:14 #845663

Hi Deb,

Thanks for your first post here! You can have a look at http://www.onesimcard.com/int ernational-sim-card/onesimcard-europe-and-more/. That card combines data and calls. Shipping to Canada, in your case, is free.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2015 at 16:13:25 #845664

Dear Arno,Thanks, appreciate your response! I’ve emailed simlystore team to confirm on the delivery days to have the simcard shipped to my hotel in Luzern. They informed that it would take 5 – 6 working days due to a longer post time. Is there any alternate option says to pick up at airport or can it be purchased over the counter? I’ll be arriving in Luzern on 15th and not sure if i can get it in time. Any idea if have it shipped to Italy would take faster time to reach?

Thanks!

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 September 2015 at 16:54:14 #845665

Hi Ellentan,

This card is only available through the page at http://www.simlystore.com/ en/buy-prepaid-sim-card/europe-prepaid-data-sim-card-10-gb.html, but you can simply have it send to your hotel in Lucerne. That will only take 2 to 3 working days. To Italy it’s 2 to 4 days. There’s plenty of time until the 15th.

• The thread ‘The best prepaid data SIM card for Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.