The Faulhornweg in Backpacking Magazine

The Faulhornweg in Backpacking Magazine

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
iplasticpi
iplasticpi
4 posts
Jun 26, 2015 - 7:18 PM

Backpacking Magazine lists the long ridge trail above Interlaken as one of the best hikes in the world, and I want to do it. But I can't find any info on it. I think that it is called The Faulhornweg. Who can help with details?

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2656 posts
expert
Jun 26, 2015 - 8:36 PM in reply to iplasticpi

<<"Backpacking Magazine lists the long ridge trail above Interlaken as one of the best hikes in the world, and I want to do it. But I can't find any info on it. I think that it is called The Faulhornweg. Who can help with details?">>

I can, although I have never hiked it.

The hike is often named by its start and finish (or vice versa) - Schynige Platte and First.

www.myswissalps.com/hi king/first-schynigeplatte

It is a tough hike...Many average hikers find it takes longer than the 6 hours listed. There is a roughly 500-600 meter ascent and descent near Faulhorn, topping off at about 2700 meters. If you are not used to strenuous exertion at that altitude - about 1 2/3 miles high -- plan on slow going and a lot of panting on that ascent.

map.geo.admin.ch/?X=168683.93&Y=637954.1 0&zoom=5&lang=en&topic =swisstopo&bgLayer=ch. swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe

The last public transport down from the trail heads is available from the Swiss Rail Time table

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

From First to Grindelwald, at 1700.

From Schynige Platte to Wilderswil, at 1753.

iplasticpi
iplasticpi
4 posts
Jun 27, 2015 - 1:42 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Thanks, this helps a lot.

kim11
kim11
322 posts
top member
Jun 28, 2015 - 12:16 AM

It is indeed Schynige Platte to First as Slowpoke says.

Here's another site with some info: walkingswitzerland.com /walks/walk_descrip/80 06/

I also describe this hike along with a number of others in a series of PDFs you can find here www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Highly recommend you do it direction SP to First. Too much downhill First to SP and somehow not as glorious.

When are you thinking of going? The way is usually open from 15 June to perhaps mid-October. It is very popular.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016