The Golden Pass Route: Lucerne to Interlaken Ost

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2015 at 11:44:31 #807866

Hi All,

I have see in this website that there is a The Golden Pass Route train trip from Lucerne to Interlaken Ost. Can anyone help me how long this trip takes?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    2 September 2015 at 12:38:36 #845860

The leg Lucerne – Interlaken Ost takes 1 hour and 50 minutes.

You may want to use the timetable to look up this information:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2015 at 13:37:43 #845861

Hi Olga,

Thanks for your response. When I check in the link you provided, it says the travel time would be 1 hr 50 mins from Lucerne to Interlaken by LUZERN-INTERLAKEN EXPRESS. But my question is to know the travel time from Lucerne to Interlaken by Golden Pass train. Can you please help with this information

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 September 2015 at 5:55:36 #845862

Hi Sriram,

It’s just a different name for the same train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2015 at 8:31:45 #845863

Thanks Arno

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2015 at 8:26:21 #845864

We did the trip that you are going to do in reverse not long ago. Beautiful scenery all the way. Try to sit on the right side of the train to get the best view

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2015 at 9:41:00 #845865

Thanks Aussie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2015 at 6:03:16 #845866

Hi Arno,We would like to take this Lucerne to Intertaken express train too. Is this the only train for this route so we would not miss it? We will be traveling with swiss travel pass on the day.

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 September 2015 at 13:45:47 #845867

Hi Ellentan,

Any train from Lucerne to Interlaken is fine, there’s no specific train to take.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2015 at 10:59:36 #845868

Hi ,

On the last day of my stay in Lucerne , I will leave for Basel Europort to take a flight scheduled departure 6:30 pm , so I have to be at the airport latest by 4:30 pm .

Can I take any panoramic train from Lucerne enroute to Basel , and leave early in Morning from Lucerne , instead of checking out at 3pm from Hotel and heading straight to Base airport ?

Are thre any panoramic trains enroute from Lucerne to Basel ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2015 at 16:06:22 #845869

I will like to check for the Golden Pass Route, is it possible for me to take from Lucerne to Interlaken and spend a day in Interlaken and continue on the route from Interlaken to Montreux?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2015 at 20:53:33 #845870

Yes

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 October 2015 at 21:02:03 #845871

Hi Isrida96 –

Nice to see you on the forum:

The general answer to your question is “Yes.”

But, there are some details, depending on when you will travel. So, the answer actually depends on when you plan to travel. In parts of November, there is track repair work that requires a bus substitute along part of the route. And, at some times of the year, the Lucerne-Interlaken Express is a substitute running on the same tracks.

However, you can always take the journey over those routes, even though you may travel in regular trains.

This may help:

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

When will you travel?

You can check your specific dates on the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

The computer that runs the timetable defaults to the fastest routes. The Golden Pass Route is more scenic, but not as fast, as, for one example, going through Bern.

So, for the leg between Luzern and Interlaken, include “Giswil” as a “via” connection to force the choice of route.

For the leg Interlaken to Montreux, include “Zweisimmen” in the “via” connection, for the same reason.

When you have selected a connection, click on “Show all Details” and look at the text at the right. There you will find words such as “Golden Pass” for those particular trains. You can also get a route map.

Try it first on the Interlaken to Montreux route to see how it works.

Slowpoke

Annika
    7104 posts
    5 October 2015 at 4:55:47 #845872

Hi reader1972,

There are no panoramic trains en route to Basel, but you could take the train to Interlaken as discussed in this thread, and continue to Basel from there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2015 at 11:23:17 #845873

Thank you ,

I got to know that Basel is in opposite direction from Basel so , it is not feasible to do that trip .Is it true ?

Thanks

Annika
    7104 posts
    5 October 2015 at 12:23:09 #845874

Hi reader1972,

If you prefer to do a scenic train ride, the only option is a detour. The one suggested is feasible I think: it takes 4.5 hours, so it fits your time frame, and it’s free if you have a Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2015 at 12:53:52 #845875

Thank you ,

I have Swiss pass .

So it means I can travel from Lucerne to Interalek , spend some time in Interlaken and from there take a train to Lucerne .

Q1. Do I need to reserve seats on the golden pass train / Lucerne Interlaken express .

Q2. I have heavy luggae can I take it onboard this train .

Q3. can I leave the luggage at Interlaken rail station for a few hours ? then takeit onwards with me for Basel Europort , which I need to reach latest by 4 pm .

Thanks

Annika
    7104 posts
    5 October 2015 at 13:15:48 #845876

You’re welcome reader1972!

Yes, that will work. I assume you mean “Swiss Travel Pass” where you wrote “Swiss Pass” (see here), and that you mean “take a train to Basel” where you wrote “take a train to Lucerne”.

You can read here whether Interlaken is interesting for you. Another option for a stopover is Bern.

Q1. No, you don’t, please see myswissalps.com/ goldenpass/tickets.

Q2. Yes, you can, or you can travel without luggage: myswissalps.com/ train/practical/ luggage.

Q3. Yes, you can rent a locker.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2015 at 16:10:47 #845877

Hi Reader1972. The lockers are ‘self service’ coin operated…you find them not far from the platform and ‘help yourself’ to an empty one. They are quite spacious, so one should be able to take all your luggage including your flight’s hold and cabin bags, as long as you can lift it in (unless there are vacant ones at ground level). If however you book your luggage through which is very convenient, I think there is a cut off time in the morning to drop it off for guaranteed arrival at the airport, after which you would have to take it yourself.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2015 at 21:18:50 #845878

Hello dear moderators. For some reason, the info. about the train trip from Lucerne to Interlaken (that I contributed to,) is appearing on my computer over and over again. Could you check why this is happening? Thanks a lot.

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 October 2015 at 5:38:58 #845879

Hi aussie,

I’m sorry you’re experiencing a problem. I’m not sure what you mean by “appearing on my computer”. Do you see the same text repeating in this thread? Or are you referring to the e-mail updates? You will receive an e-mail each time someone posted in this thread. That’s normal behavior, to let you know someone else contributed to the thread. You will receive one now, for example, to let you know I replied. There is an unsubscribe button at the top of the page if you don’t want to receive these updates.

If the above is not what you mean, please attach a screenshot so I can take a look at it. Thanks!

• The thread ‘The Golden Pass Route: Lucerne to Interlaken Ost’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.