The most suitable rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2014 at 16:19:40 #806587

Hi, I’m seeking advice on which type of rail pass should i purchase for my upcoming trip to the following destinations.

1. Vevey/Montreux to Grindelwald

2. Grindelwald – First for hiking. May take other mountain ride to the surrounding peaks i.e. Top of Europe or Piz Gloria (Schilthorn) or Kleine Scheidegg.

3. Grindelwald to Interlaken – spend a night there. May want to visit Harder Kulm or Lake Thunn

4. Interlaken back to Vevey/Montreux

5. Vevey to Geneva for flight to Nice and Geneva back to Vevey

6. Vevey to Milan and vice versa

Need help to advise which is the most suitable rail pass to purchase during my stay in Switzerland. Besides the above, I may need public transport to travel around Lake Geneva area for a short day trip.

Many thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    19 August 2014 at 7:35:00 #840877

Hi Bellelee,

Thanks for posting here! You can best look into the Swiss Flexi Pass. It allows a few days of free traveling, and you can purchase discounted tickets on the other days when you do not travel or only travel a bit. Please see the link for details, including a map of what’s covered. A Swiss Half Fare Card is an alternative to look into. See here for how to choose.

Make sure to look into the promotions, as there are a few days left to get a substantial discount on your rail pass.

By the way, I would recommend not to stay in Interlaken if you’re also staying in Grindelwald. The two towns are just 30 minutes apart. You will loose a lot of time checking in and out of hotels while you can easily visit them from one base town. Grindelwald is more scenic than Interlaken.

• The thread ‘The most suitable rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.