The right pass and places?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 October 2011 at 6:07:11 #804728

Hi, I have been reading lots of Forum posts, however I am still struggling with my trip & finding the right pass.
    I’m hoping someone can please help me decide on the best pass to suit my travels and please offer me any advice on where to go and how many days to spend in these areas!!
    I qualify as youth for the train tickets.

22Oct: Zurich- Bern
    30Oct: Bern-Geneva Airport
    25Nov: Geneva Airport – Lausanne
    27Nov: Lausanne-Montreux
    28Nov: Montreux-Interlaken
    30Nov: Interlaken-Lauterbrunnen
    2Dec: Lauterbrunnen – ??
    Glacier Express Zermatt – Chur
    9Dec: Chur-Austria
    20Dec: Austria to Bern (Can stop off on the way in Zurich or Luzern)
    Bern until 31Dec: Zurich Airport

I was thinking of getting the FlexiPass?? Use it from the 25Nov for a month, I will be travelling with a friend during that part of the trip also.

Thank you in advance,
    Kat.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2011 at 18:54:42 #834271

kat, My suggestion would be a Swiss Pass. It will cover a lot of the private railways and give u discounts on private railways, of which there are quite a few. One more suggestion, make sure u pay attention to your rail timetables[ rail service is reduced in some areas during your travel period] check swisstravelsystems.ch for more info.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2011 at 21:55:47 #834272

Thank you very much for your help. I looked up the swiss youth pass, and decided the 22 day or 1 month pass would probably suit me best. However, it is stated that “travel days must be used consecutively”.
    I’m not sure about this, because I won’t be needing to use transport everyday… ?
    Does this mean I have to get the Swiss Flexi Pass 6 days within one month?

Thanks!

Arno
    15478 posts
    3 October 2011 at 23:21:14 #834273

Hi Kat,

The Swiss Youth Pass is the best choice. A 1-month Swiss Youth Pass is just a bit more expensive than a 6-day Swiss Flexi Pass. You can use the Swiss Youth Pass as much as you like on all days. Even if you do not use it on all days, it will be more economical to have a full month of free traveling rather than 6 days.

You can compare prices and all other details on the Swiss Pass and Swiss Flexi Pass pages. Be sure to fill out your country, number of travelers and pass to see the prices that apply to you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2011 at 23:55:23 #834274

Thanks for replying. Could you tell me if there is anything longer than a one month swiss pass? it would be useful to have a 2 month pass.
    Thank you!

Arno
    15478 posts
    4 October 2011 at 1:12:17 #834275

You’re probably best off with two 1-month passes, but if you’re a non-European resident, you can look into the Eurail passes. For example, there is a 10-day in 2 months Switzerland-Austria Youth Pass. If you have planned 10 travel days and almost no traveling in between, that could be a good option. Please carefully read our pass pages and review the network maps we link to. Both type of passes cover different things. Swiss Passes cover a lot of mountain transport and urban transport as well, and offer free entrance to museums. Eurail Passes mainly cover trains.

• The thread ‘The right pass and places?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.