The train to Jungfraujoch

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2011 at 1:01:55 #804447

My family and I are travelling up from Italy and would like to spend 1 x night and day in Switzerland before continuing on to Northern France.
    We would love to take the children up to Jungfraujoch but obviously are short of time.
    I am aware that there is an ‘early bird option’ but am confused as to where you would need to pick this train up. We would like to stay in Interlaken West but does this service only go from Interlaken Ost? Does this one ticket entitle you to go all the way to the top? Is there a non-stop option which may be quicker? Where is the best place to purchase these tickets?
    Any help greatly appreciated

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 June 2011 at 16:34:11 #833351

Hi Sarah,

There is indeed a reduced Good Morning Ticket and Good Afternoon Ticket for those who want to start their trip very early (around 6:30AM from Interlaken Ost) or relatively late in the afternoon (3:30PM from Kleine Scheidegg). The trains for the first leg depart from Interlaken Ost, but that’s no problem for you: Interlaken West is a 5-minute train or bus ride away from Ost; you could even walk in about 25 minutes. The tickets can be purchase online and in Interlaken. The prices are the same in all cases; this is not an “early bird option” meaning that purchasing early is cheaper. I assume you need a Junior travelcard for the children (it depends on their age).

You can just take the train at the specified time if you use these reduced tickets. The timetable shows the available connections. They are all equally fast (or slow actuallly as these are cog railways).

Please be sure to watch the weather forecast! You need a clear day to enjoy the view up there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2011 at 3:29:28 #833352

Thank you, this information is very helpful:-)

Due to the early start I think we will look for bed and breakfast accomodation in Interlaken Ost so that we can walk to the station………..Any recommendations?
    I can see what you mean about the weather and having the view – if we leave buying the train tickets until the evening before or even the morning of the trip – can we get them actually at Interlaken Ost train station?
    Do they sell out quite quickly and would this be leaving it too late??
    I take it that the journey stops at certain stations along the way – do you have to change trains at Kleine Scheidegg?
    Really appreciate your help with all this – the family are so keen and excited to do this trip that i want top get it right!!!

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 July 2011 at 3:38:02 #833353

Hi Sarah,

These tickets don’t sell out (I’ve never heard of it). They usually just schedule extra trains if there are a lot of travelers. You can get the ticket in Interlaken Ost, but please check their opening times. The timetable shows where to change trains. The train from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch also stops two times along the way to take pictures.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2011 at 5:14:04 #833354

Hi Arno,
    Thanks
    Been great to get some helpful information:-)

• The thread ‘The train to Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.