Lake Thun boat trip; where to have a break?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2016 at 12:42:26 #810109

We are planning to travel from Interlaken to Thun by boat. Can we get off at any of the stops and then catch the next boat through if we want to look around or have lunch? Are there stops that are recommended or restaurants that we should try?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2016 at 21:25:15 #856012

Stops at Faulensee, Spiez or Oberhofen are nice, and also with restaurants.

Change boat with a ticket is no problem.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 September 2016 at 22:06:46 #856013

Hi djgluckman-

<<“Can we get off at any of the stops and then catch the next boat through if we want to look around or have lunch?”>>

In principle, yes.

If you buy a ticket from Interlaken to Thun, it will work exactly as you wish. You can’t double back, but you can keep going in the same direction, and get on and of at various stops.

However, as with other times of tickets, there might be some me time limit…for example, I don’t think you could wait for the next day, unless you are traveling with some kind of pass that has no restrictions. So, when you buy the ticket, possibly at the ticket booth before you board, ask about time…there may be a ticket with a full day validity, at no extra cost. Or, they may all be that way.

You can also buy a ticket on board the boat.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2016 at 13:54:47 #856014

Buying tickets on board is a bit tricky, if you have some kind of pass that too you need to make sure you did not pass the validity point. One of the ticket agents at a train station mentioned they expect you to purchase the tickets before boarding in general, otherwise it might be risky and might be penalties if you do not have any valid pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2016 at 14:15:49 #856015

There is no validity point when you go on the ship on Thuner- or Brienzersee.

When you have no ticket, you can buy it direct on the boat by the ticket on-board office on every boat. When the boat is traveling, the conductor check the tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2016 at 16:26:24 #856016

I was referring to trains especially, I just don’t want people to get carried away that it is the norm everywhere

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 September 2016 at 16:29:49 #856017

Hi Chandraks-

It used to be possible as a routine matter to buy tickets on board the trains. Now, it is either completely impossible, or only possible in rare circumstances.

The boats are more accommodating. It is routine to buy tickets on them, in no smallpart because some of the small boat landings have no ticket office.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2016 at 16:34:44 #856018

I agree Slowpoke and Brahms, no issues buying tickets on board for boats. Thanks

• The thread ‘Lake Thun boat trip; where to have a break?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.