Tips on what to look for in the Swiss Alps

• sattina
    Participant
    6 posts
    9 September 2020 at 8:32:00 #825678

I love the Swiss Alps. That’s a fact. I love everything about them. The people, the forests, the flora and the fauna, the hiking trails, the rythm, and the food.

Besides the amazing sights the mountains offer, which are impossible to miss, I would suggest to look for the old stone fountains one finds in the alpages, the old ecuries one finds along the trails, and the old homes and barns one finds along the routes. They are so full of charm.

How can I forget the beautiful cows that graze placidly on the alpages? For those traveling to Valais, look for the dark ones, the d’Hérens breed, famous for their beauty and character.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2020 at 10:05:03 #934237

Hi Sattina and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I couldn’t agree with you more as I love the Swiss Alps too & I am pretty sure that many people on this forum too. Thank you so much that you’ve shared these amazing photos with us!

If you have time, we would love to hear more about your trip to Valais. 😉

Ildiko

sattina
    Participant
    6 posts
    9 September 2020 at 10:34:15 #934238

will do 🙂

Annika
    7116 posts
    9 September 2020 at 10:51:33 #934239

Thank you for sharing your lovely pictures sattina! You’ve included some great animal photos – including the one with your beautiful dog. I’m happy that you were able to spend a long time in the country you love that much. Thanks for your ‘off the beaten path’ tips as well. I’m sure they will appeal to many travelers :-). And just like Ildikó, I’d love to hear more about you experiences in the Valais!

sattina
    Participant
    6 posts
    9 September 2020 at 11:09:20 #934240

thank you so much for your kind words. I will write more in the next few days and weeks 🙂

Dereksmith
    Participant
    5 posts
    9 September 2020 at 15:09:44 #934241

Hey Sattina!

Great pictures! Please expand on your love of the “food”. I’ve been living in Geneva, Switzerland for 2 years and haven’t been too impressed. Well, except for pizza, but I can’t live on pizza alone. Please help me expand my taste buds! Looking forward to more of your pictures, also. Thanks!

sattina
    Participant
    6 posts
    9 September 2020 at 15:52:41 #934242

Hey there. I must say that I have been to geneva only a couple of times and that was long ago. My experience with Suisse food is limited to the mountainous regions, and even there it has become difficult to find original Suisse cuisine, but once you do, you love it.

So, Where do I start with the great food you can eat in Switzerland? Unfortunately I havent’ taken any pictures of the dishes we ate, will do it next time we go and will post some. They are gonna make you hungry just by looking at them 🙂

From the beginning as the wise man would say. (you don’t necessarily have to love cheese, but if you do that is an advantage).

Let’s start from the classics:

Croute au fromage. There are different options, with just fromage, or with ham and eggs, or with bacon, onions and tomatoes, etc. Depending on who cooks it, it may be a very simple (but very tasty) dish or a more elaborate one.

Fondue: same as above. There are many different versions, my favorite is the one ‘Au tomate’ which differs from the other because it is served with potatoes, not with bread. In general, the quality of the cheese used and the hand of who prepares the fondue makes all the difference.

Raclette: it is now pretty rare to find, but it is a great experience.

(for croute, raclette and fondue I suggest you look for the buvettes d’alpage, they are very simple but usually excellent).

For the canton I know, Valais, the Assiette valaisanne is always a good choice: different kinds of cheese and cured meats , plus cornichons and petites oignons, with some bread.

Rosti: a super classic from Switzerland, and a must try at least once. There different versions of rosti, too.

Salads: big, tasty, lovely to look at, the Suisse have their own ‘localized’ versions. They deserve to be tried.

French Fries: this, I think, is not a well known fact but in Switzerland you can find some amazing French Fries (of which I am a great fan).

Tartare: if you like raw meat (I don’t).

Wurstels: I love those

Soups and potages are also very common and very good.

Last but not least, the boulangeries and patisseries. They are to die for.

I am attaching a few more pictures, not food-related 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2020 at 18:59:19 #934243

Reading these food types made me hungry 🙂

It is true, if you are not a big fan of cheese then it is more difficult to find something typically Swiss cuisine for you. Fortunately I love Swiss cheese and everything made from it. In Zermatt I’ve also tried a very good wine soup (although I think it originates from Solothurn). We make cheese fondue at home with lots of garlic pieces and eat not just with bread and potato but also with grapes and apple. I know it is not really the Swiss version of it but still tastes very good. 🙂

Have you tried the Birchermüesli for breakfast? It is also very good. And do not forget the Swiss chocolate.

More about the Swiss gastronomy: http://www.myswissalps.com/activities/culinary and http://www.myswissalps.com/activities/culinary/tours.

Sattina, lovely pictures again! Thank you!

Ildiko

Dereksmith
    Participant
    5 posts
    10 September 2020 at 18:48:37 #934244

sattina, thank you so much for the speedy response and great pictures! I’m an Expat from the US and about right now I’m starting to think that I might be a bit a little homesick with Covid-19 and all and am looking for some tastes of home. You’ve given me some great options to fill the void. Thanks!

Ildiko, thank you also! I worked for Hershey Chocolate back in the States and, ABSOLUTELY Swiss chocolate is the best!!! Here’s the place we visit: Tristan Carbonatto Chocolatier Sàrl

Thanks!

sattina
    Participant
    6 posts
    11 September 2020 at 6:28:00 #934245

will do 🙂

sattina
    Participant
    6 posts
    11 September 2020 at 6:29:59 #934246

Thank you! Hope you get to see home soon.

• The thread ‘Tips on what to look for in the Swiss Alps’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.