Titlis bridge

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2012 at 17:02:46 #805720

Has anyone else seen this on Yahoo? Impressive

Is this the world’s scariest bridge? 1m-wide walkway suspended nearly 10,000ft above sea levelThe Titlis Cliff Walk in the Swiss Alps took five months to build and is thought to be Europe’s highest suspension bridge, at a stomach-turning 9,800ft (3,000m) above sea level.Yahoo! News – Head for heights: The Titlis Cliff Walk is the highest suspension bridge in Europe (SWNS)
    Anyone afraid of heights should probably give this walkway a miss – because at 1,500ft above a glacier it could be ‘the world’s scariest bridge’.
    The Titlis Cliff Walk in the Swiss Alps took five months to build and is thought to be Europe’s highest suspension bridge, at a stomach-turning 9,800ft (3,000m) above sea level.
    The structure, which cost £1million to build, is a whopping 330ft long, but only 3ft wide.
    And on the Titlis Cliff Walk’s grand opening, a huge snow storm reduced visibility to just a few feet – leaving visitors with no idea of what lay beneath them.
    The impressive bridge on Mount Titlis was built to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the opening of a cableway which joined the towns of Engelberg and Gerschnialp in January 1913
    The bridge was shrouded in bad weather for its recent official opening (SWNS)
    Construction work was an extreme challenge for engineers, with working hours determined by the weather conditions.
    Peter Reinle, from Titlis Cable Cars, said: “Everyone was very impressed by the bridge.
    “It opened in a real snow storm which made it an adventure for everyone who crossed it.”

To see the pictures go to Yahoo.co.uk

Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    13 December 2012 at 4:15:24 #837841

Hi Maggie,

Thank you for posting this. We love suspension bridges, my husband even sort of collects them, figuratively spoken. When we visit Switzerland again, we will defenitely “do” this bridge!

Arno
    15483 posts
    14 December 2012 at 5:42:16 #837842

For anyone interested in this impressive new bridge: here’s the message on Yahoo.

And here’s a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGkJugABrXA

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    14 December 2012 at 6:16:37 #837843

Thanks! I would love to “walk the bridge”, as I always enjoy suspension bridges. Well, there’s always 2013!

Annika
    7116 posts
    15 December 2012 at 12:51:54 #837844

That looks stunning, Maggie! Thank you for mentioning it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2012 at 22:51:46 #837845

According to Mt Titlis website, the bridge will open this month, Dec 2012, but not sure which date.

I’m looking forward to this bridge too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 December 2012 at 15:52:58 #837846

[quote]-Olga- said: Hi Maggie,

Thank you for posting this. We love suspension bridges, my husband even sort of collects them, figuratively spoken. When we visit Switzerland again, we will defenitely “do” this bridge![/quote]

always something new to see in beautiful Switzerland! On our recent trip there, we didn’t have time to go to Mt. Titilis. It will be a must when I’m there again in 2014! Thanks Maggie and moderators.

• The thread ‘Titlis bridge’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.