Too many thing to see in 3 days, need advise

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2011 at 3:45:08 #804513

We are coming to geneva by flight in Apr and plan to visit interlaken, lucerne, mt titlis and heading to austria after the 3rd day. plan to stay 1 night in interlaken – visit lauterbrunen and 1 night in lucerne for our visit to mt titlis. Please advise whether our plan is too ambitious to do and what will be the best pass for us to purchase – swiss pass or swiss card? 5 of us will be travelling which 2 of them are 15yrs and 4yrs. what is the last train station bordering austria? we plan to visit innnsbruck and salzburg as well. please also advise what will the weather will be in early april. can we see the flowers blooming already? if the weather doesn’t permit to visit titlis, maybe we go for a day trip to bern. swiss is a lovely country and lovely people these makes me to come back for second time.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    25 July 2011 at 9:35:51 #833579

Hi tiamaria, and welcome to the forum! It’s great that you get to visit Switzerland once again. Your itinerary doesn’t look too ambitious. The timetable allows you to find out about traveling times.

As for rail passes: in fact, a Swiss Half Fare Card would be a bit cheaper than the Swiss Card in your case. In all, this may be the cheapest solution. However, if the idea of free traveling without the need to buy separate tickets appeals to you, you could consider a 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass or a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass, covering all your travel during your stay (except for mountain transportation such as the cable car from Engelberg to Titlis: this one’s reduced by 50% instead of for free). I’m not quite sure whether your stay will last 2 nights/3 days or 3 nights/4 days, that’s why I mention both the 3 and 4 day variant. If the 15 and 4 years old are children of one of the adults, you can obtain free STS Family Card along with your Swiss Half Fare Card or Swiss Saver (Flexi) Pass, allowing them to travel along for free with their parent(s).

Your rail pass, whether it’s the Swiss Half Fare Card or the Swiss (Flexi) Pass, is valid up to Buchs. From there on, you have to buy a regular ticket to Inssbruck/Salzburg.

Weather is Switzerland is very unpredictable. April can still be cold and wet, but there have been many years with great, sunny spring weather. Generally, nature in the lower areas of the country starts to bloom and blossom by April, whereas higher regions may still look like it’s winter. Just be prepared for all kinds of weather and arrange for a back-up plan, such as your trip to Bern. It’s not the best time yet for alpine flowers.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2011 at 12:32:23 #833580

thank for the swift reply annika. that is why i like you people. just want to share with others why i say you people are great, last year i am one of the first to installed the ssb mobile application on my iphone and being that sbb will give me a prize. i dont really bother about that but to my suprise they really sent the prize to my house back here in a small country, malaysia. i’m stunt to receive it you people really honor your words. beside that i also experience on the bad winter weather in year 2010 where most of the flight been cancelled. there was a chap working in aesop, basel helping us to catch the next available train to london. he helped us through out from basel and back to zurich. he also find us a hotel that night and wait until we are safe check-in to our hotel. (we were traveling with our children age 14 & 15). he did all these without single thing in return. so for the first timer to swiss, you dont have to worry switzerland is safe and the people are awesome! the train service is beyond excellence.
    ok back to my travel plan. how do i find out on the point to point ticket price? as you recommend me to have the swiss half fare card. i just want to find out the fare difference. if not much i rather buy the swiss saver pass. tq and good night annika 🙂

Annika
    7116 posts
    25 July 2011 at 15:05:11 #833581

Thanks for sharing your good experiences tiamaria! The regular fares can be found in the timetable, as explained here.

• The thread ‘Too many thing to see in 3 days, need advise’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.