Top Up to Swiss Pass ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2013 at 3:22:31 #806024

Dear Sir/Mdm,

I had purchased the 8 days Swiss Pass although I will be in Switzerland from 5 June to 14 June (10days). Initially I intend to start using the Pass only on 8 June onwards for the longer train trips which will be sufficient.

However I now have changed my mind but may need to start using on 5 June on the day I arrive as I am travelling from Zurich to Lucerne and staying in Lucerne for 3 nights. I reckon I would be travelling around Lucerne and may need to utilise the Pass too.

My itinerary is as follows : Zurich – Lucerne (3 nights), Lucerne – Murren ( 2 nights ), Murren – Interlaken (1 night), Interlaken-Zermatt ( 2 nights), Zermatt – Zurich (1 night).

You would note that I initially intended to start using the Pass from the Lucerne – Murren sector since most of the sectors after that are longer ( Zermatt-Zurich especially) and since it must be used on consecutive days. However I now realised that I may have to buy individual tickets from the moment I arrive in Zurich and all the 3 days travel in Lucerne. This may work out to be more, or does it ??

Can I top up on the Swiss Pass for the extra 2 days ? If yes how do I do it ? If not what would you suggest I do for savings purposes ? For your information the 8 days Swiss Pass has already been issued to my partner and I and is in my possession. We are leaving from our country next Tuesday.

Your views and advice would be much appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    30 May 2013 at 6:37:33 #838779

Hello Patrick,

Theoretically you could purchase a 15-day Swiss Pass (there is no 10-day pass or anything else in between 8 and 15 days). It would be about CHF 140 extra for the two of you, which may or may not be economical as you would only use it for the 2 extra days. Also you would have to cancel the 8-day pass you already have which usually comes with a processing fee, depending on the reseller. All in all, I would not recommend that. I would start using the pass on June 7 (I assume you have a pass that does not have a fixed start date printed on it). That gives you 8 days, including June 14, and only 2 days without the pass in the beginning of your stay. The full fare for Zurich (airport, I assume) to Lucerne is CHF 28 per person. If you explore Lucerne on June 6, or at least avoid long travels and expensive mountain transport, you don’t need to spend much that day.

Does this sound doable?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2013 at 11:57:43 #838780

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your advice and excellent suggestion. I now understand how to maximize the Swiss Pass.

Your prompt reply is also much appreciated.

• The thread ‘Top Up to Swiss Pass ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.