Tour des Muverans

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2011 at 9:19:50 #804871

Hi,
    First of all, congratulations for this nice forum, and I am glad to join it.:-)
    I am planning to do the Tour des Muverans in June (17-24). I would greatly appreciate any information about this route, particularly those topics and advices not described in web sites about this itinerary. Is June a good time to do it?
    I will travel on my own, so I am open to contact with other hikers interested in sharing part or whole itinerary. I am even ready to consider your suggestions for other similar tours for same dates.
    Regards,
    Juan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    9 March 2011 at 11:10:58 #834729

Hello Juan, and welcome to this forum!

I think you’ve selected a beautiful tour. I don’t know it personally though, so I don’t know if I can add anything valuable to the information that can be found online. Just a few good websites that you may not have discovered yet: the website of Wanderland Schweiz gives a detailed description of part of this tour, including a map, a hight profile and further tips. A Swiss website entirely dedicated to the Tour des Muverans is available as well. It’s in French, but Google translate may help you understand the most importation information, and an English PDF file with a description can be downloaded.

The Tour des Muverans is a mountain route that requires good physical shape and some experience with multiple day mountain hikes. It’s important to plan this tour well. Our general tips may help you with this. You should especially pay attention to the weather. Try to get a recent weather forecast each day before leaving, and be sure to know about alternative routes and shelter options. As for the season: although the tour can be started from mid-June, it would be safer to plan it a bit later, as snow can still block sections of the route in late spring/early summer. On the other hand: even in July, August and September snow may fall. Weather in the mountains is unpredictable, and all you can do is select the period with the lowest risk of snow (July-September) and pay close attention to weather conditions each day of your trip.

I hope you’ll succeed in finding fellow-hikers! Have a wonderful tour and please let us know if you have further questions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2011 at 4:58:23 #834730

Hello Anikka, and thank you for the information! Particularly for the dedicated swiss website. I will do my best in preparation of this route, I have long experience in hiking and I know how important planning is.
    Best regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2011 at 14:10:56 #834731

June is too early – old snow could make some paths dangerous.

It changes every year – just ask the hut wardens before you start.

We walked this wonderful trek in August 2003 and described it (in German):

http://www.wandersite.ch/Muverans.html

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2011 at 10:06:25 #834732

Hello Muveran and thanks for the information.
    I received same comment from other people, so I think I will reconsider dates and try to move it to late July / August

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2011 at 3:11:44 #834733

I’ll be doing the Tour des Muverans a few times this year. If you check back on my blog (below) in after July you’ll be able to get some idea of the current conditions on the tour.
    Late June there will be plenty of good hiking in the area but there’s been some good advice already and it is likely parts of the route will be difficult. This year may be a little different as the amount of snow we’ve had is a lot lower than usual.

Annika
    7104 posts
    6 April 2011 at 12:28:22 #834734

Thank you for sharing your up-to-date knowledge of current conditions through your blog, SwissMountainLeader! That’s very helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2011 at 8:57:24 #834735

Very helpful indeed, thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2012 at 11:44:54 #834736

Hi Juan

Am wondering if you did the Tour des Muverans last year. I am planning to do it later this year and wonder if you have any advice on the route and the huts. Did you start from Bex? I know Barboleuse and wonder if I might start from there.
    Gretta

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2012 at 11:47:50 #834737

You could start at Barboleuse, ride the lift to Les Chaux and then via Solalex to Refuge Giacommini

• The thread ‘Tour des Muverans’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.