Train Colmar to Grindelwald reservations required?

• Jenivis
    Participant
    13 posts
    9 March 2017 at 22:00:50 #811017

Hi

We have purchased 5 x day Swiss travel Pass 2nd class. We are travelling this route on 23rd May.Looking at getting the 7.53 am or 8.23 am out of Colmar. Do I need to pre-book ? Are seats allocated? Or do I just turn up at the station and show my Swiss travel Pass? ( I do realise that i need to purchase a separate ticket for the France part Colmar to Basel)

PS does this route go via Bern? I have heard this city is worth a look. If so we might consider breaking our journey for a brief stop at Bern. What about luggage storage in Bern? Is the station far from the city centre? Walkable?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2017 at 6:33:44 #859854

Hi Jenivis and welcome to MySwissalps!

You do not need to make a reservation for this route no. Just hop on the train you want to take and show the conductor your Swiss Travel Pass when asked – as you said you’ll need a separate ticket from Colmar to the first Swiss border town (Basel).

You can search this route and your train options on the Swiss Railways timetable here. Trains to Grindelwald from Colmar (can be purchased here) can have between 2 and 4 connections – As a rule I choose the train with the fewest connections, depending on my departure and arrival preferences or needs.

Typically you would not go via Bern, but you can choose to do so if you wish. The Bern station has luggage storage and is centrally located in the city if you want to spend a few hours there before heading off to Grindelwald – I agree its a lovely city if you have time to spend a few hours there.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Train Colmar to Grindelwald reservations required?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.