Train from Chamonix

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2012 at 18:06:10 #804988

Greetings! a further querie re “swiss pass”.Will my travel starting at Chamonix Mount Blanc train station to Brig be free?
    Can a Swiss Pass be purchased at train station[or anywhere else] in Chamonix,several days prior to validating it for 1st journey from there to Brig? I am aware I can buy pass at Geneva Airport, prior to travelling to Chamonix,but time to do so may be insufficient,as I have no idea where the counter/shop is located within the airport,and how long it would take to find and buy,then get to the departure location for my bus transfer to Chamonix.
    I am arriving into Geneva at 08.30….What time is “the Swiss Pass Shop” open? As, if I am unable to Buy pass in Chamonix
    I will have to “find” it before I leave the Airport.
    Hope for some help:-)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    3 March 2012 at 7:12:45 #835083

Hello mbear12! The Swiss Pass can only be bought within Switzerland or online in advance, so I don’t think Chamonix is an option. Opening hours of railway stations can be found at the SBB website. To avoid the hassle, you can also choose to get your pass online in advance, so you don’t have to spend time on a purchase at the Geneva Airport. Just enter your country of residence in the upper right corner of the Swiss pass page for an overview of resellers and up to date prices.

Just to be sure, did you notice the online 2 for 1 offer?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2012 at 21:25:51 #835084

Thanks Annika for your reply,[ I had checked the mentioned sites prior to my recent post.]
    However,Still not sure re the following…
    .Can I purchase SP from outlet in the Geneva Airport complex itself using a credit card and from where ? ie tourist shop etc? Or do I have to go to the airport rail station and buy it from ticket counter/shop,using credit card?
    .If purchased on my arrival, can I have my 1st date of travel from Chamonix Mont Blanc to Brig,2 weeks later?
    .Is the whole trip from Chamonix to Brig free with SP,or only free from Martigny to Brig ?[Swiss section]
    Thanks for your help,yet again!:-)

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 March 2012 at 7:12:37 #835085

Hello mbear! You should get to a ticket counter at the railway station of the airport. Payment options can be found in the purchase options overview I mentioned in my previous post; just click ‘more information’ for details. Yes, you can ask for a later start date.

The French leg of the trip from Chamonix is discounted. Free traveling applies between Le Chatelard and Brig. Please refer to the validity network map we link to at the Swiss Pass page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2012 at 20:55:28 #835086

Further info please…train route from Chamonix Mount Blanc to Brig? Most direct /shortest journey…my investigations re online timetable seem to be around 8hours??? Please tell me I am wrong!

Arno
    15482 posts
    9 March 2012 at 3:48:52 #835087

Hi mbear12,

That trip is less than 3 hours. The options are in this timetable.

• The thread ‘Train from Chamonix’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.