Train from Interlaken to Zermatt - and GoldenPass

Train from Interlaken to Zermatt - and GoldenPass

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
BarbaraC
BarbaraC
2 posts
Feb 19, 2012 - 5:34 PM
Hello forum,

I would highly appreciate your help! I plan to travel from Germany into Switzerland, then to France at the end of March 2012, using EuRail Select Pass for 3 countries. In Switzerland, I'd like to visit the following locations:

Day 1. Lucerne
Day 2. Interlaken
Day 3. Zermatt
Day 4. travel through Lausanne to France

I have two questions in this regard:
1. Golden Pass panoramic train is something I'm very much looking forward to. But if I travel from Interlaken to Zermatt via Spiez and Visp to Zermatt, and next day from Zermatt to Lausanne via Martigny and Montreux, I would miss the Golden Pass route of Interlaken to Montreux via Zweisimmen. But it would be much longer trip if I travel from Interlaken to Montreux with Golden Pass line, and then change the train to Zermatt. In addition, on the next day, I would need to travel from Zermatt to Lausanne using the same route. Which would be recommended? Is the trip from Spiez to Visp as scenic as Golden Pass?

2. I'm trying to make a reservation for GoldenPass panoramic train on their website (http://www.goldenpass.ch/default.asp?Language=EN). At the "booking" page to select seats, it shows each train with several "free seats", but I'm wondering if the carriages for 1st Class and 2nd Class shown are all "panoramic" carriages. I couldn't figure out from any of the web sites.

Thank you for your help. I'm flying into Germany from Hong Kong.

BarbaraC
Annika
Annika
4355 posts
expert &
Feb 21, 2012 - 11:29 AM
Hi BarbaraC, and welcome! You're right, it would require a long detour to take the Golden Pass train when traveling from Interlaken to Zermatt. However, you don't have to miss out on scenic trains if you:
  • travel from Lucerne to Interlaken by Golden Pass (or in a regular train over the same Golden Pass route, which runs via the Brünig Pass and Meiringen). Although this is only a leg of the entire Golden Pass route, it's definitely a beautiful one;
  • travel from Interlaken to Zermatt via Spiez, Kandersteg and Goppenstein in the scenic Lötschberg RegioExpress (instead of the quick tunnel route between Spiez and Visp). The Lötschberg RegioExpress is a local train that doesn't require seat reservations. You'll find it if you enter 'Goppenstein' as your via-station in the timetable.

As for seat reservations: Golden Pass trains have panoramic windows in both 2nd and 1st class. The difference is that the windows are even larger in 1st class, there's a bit more room in the carriages, the seats are a bit more luxurious, and so on.
BarbaraC
BarbaraC
2 posts
Feb 26, 2012 - 9:45 AM
Thank you so much Annika! This is most helpful.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016