Train from Milan to Interlaken / pass or tickets?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2016 at 15:57:48 #809205

Hi Guys!

I’m planning a trip to Switzerland in August. I was thinking of Interlaken (3 days)-Lucerne (2days) -Zurich (1day).

1. I’m getting a little confused about booking tickets from Milan to Spiez (for reaching Interlaken). Should I book Milan to some border town (if so which one?) using Trenitalia and then step onto a Swiss train using a Swiss pass?

2. Also, does it make sense to buy an 8 day Swiss pass as compared to buying point to point tickets? I’m flying back from Zurich. Are all trains on my route covered by the pass?

3. Do the Switzerland trains need to be booked in advance, (including the one from the border town to Spiez) or can I hop on with a pass / purchase the ticket at the station, given peak season of August?

Thanks a lot for your help in Advance! Going a bit crazy trying to figure out if it will be more economical to invest in the pass or not, and how to go about the booking!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 May 2016 at 16:56:44 #852057

Welcome to MySwissAlps shreya!

I assume you mean the Swiss Travel Pass, right? Please see here for what a Swiss Pass is.

1. Please see the Swiss Travel Pass page for what’s included in the pass. If you download the map you’ll find all details. In your case you just need a ticket from Milan to Domodossola (the border town). You can buy it from any of the websites listed here. The rest of it is covered by the pass so you do not need a ticket.

2. Whether is makes sense depends on your plans. Please see the map I explained about, and this page helps you choose.

3. No reservations required, please see here.

I hope this was useful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2016 at 17:10:29 #852058

Thank you so much Arno! Just a quick followup question, if I book from Milan to Domodossola on Trenitalia, do I need to get off and change the train to Spiez? Or is it an onward journey and I just need to show the Swiss Travel Pass? In case of the latter, how do I know which of the trains from Milan actuall go onwards to Spiez? Or do I book from Milan to Spiez and there is some option on Trenitalia as well for Swiss travel pass?

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 May 2016 at 17:46:57 #852059

You’re welcome! You just stay seated as the ticket and pass cover the whole journey. You can first search for a train to Spiez but don’t book it. Then search for Domodossola and book that same train (same departure time).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2016 at 4:31:22 #852060

Thanks a ton Arno! Have booked till Domodossola 🙂

• The thread ‘Train from Milan to Interlaken / pass or tickets?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.