Train from Milan to Interlaken / pass or tickets?

Train from Milan to Interlaken / pass or tickets?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
shreya
shreya
3 posts
May 15, 2016 - 3:57 PM

Hi Guys!

I'm planning a trip to Switzerland in August. I was thinking of Interlaken (3 days)-Lucerne (2days) -Zurich (1day).

1. I'm getting a little confused about booking tickets from Milan to Spiez (for reaching Interlaken). Should I book Milan to some border town (if so which one?) using Trenitalia and then step onto a Swiss train using a Swiss pass?

2. Also, does it make sense to buy an 8 day Swiss pass as compared to buying point to point tickets? I'm flying back from Zurich. Are all trains on my route covered by the pass?

3. Do the Switzerland trains need to be booked in advance, (including the one from the border town to Spiez) or can I hop on with a pass / purchase the ticket at the station, given peak season of August?

Thanks a lot for your help in Advance! Going a bit crazy trying to figure out if it will be more economical to invest in the pass or not, and how to go about the booking!

Arno
Arno
7721 posts
expert &
May 15, 2016 - 4:56 PM

Welcome to MySwissAlps shreya!

I assume you mean the Swiss Travel Pass, right? Please see here for what a Swiss Pass is.

1. Please see the Swiss Travel Pass page for what's included in the pass. If you download the map you'll find all details. In your case you just need a ticket from Milan to Domodossola (the border town). You can buy it from any of the websites listed here. The rest of it is covered by the pass so you do not need a ticket.

2. Whether is makes sense depends on your plans. Please see the map I explained about, and this page helps you choose.

3. No reservations required, please see here.

I hope this was useful.

Last modified on May 15, 2016 - 4:57 PM by Arno
shreya
shreya
3 posts
May 15, 2016 - 5:10 PM in reply to Arno

Thank you so much Arno! Just a quick followup question, if I book from Milan to Domodossola on Trenitalia, do I need to get off and change the train to Spiez? Or is it an onward journey and I just need to show the Swiss Travel Pass? In case of the latter, how do I know which of the trains from Milan actuall go onwards to Spiez? Or do I book from Milan to Spiez and there is some option on Trenitalia as well for Swiss travel pass?

Arno
Arno
7721 posts
expert &
May 15, 2016 - 5:46 PM in reply to shreya

You're welcome! You just stay seated as the ticket and pass cover the whole journey. You can first search for a train to Spiez but don't book it. Then search for Domodossola and book that same train (same departure time).

shreya
shreya
3 posts
May 16, 2016 - 4:31 AM in reply to Arno

Thanks a ton Arno! Have booked till Domodossola :)

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016